cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connectivity issue with Linksys Phone

mikebayless
Level 1
Level 1

I just deployed the devices on my network and had an immediate problem.  I diagnosed it down to the switch being the issue.  Here is my setup:

I have a POE switch currently to connect my POE Linksys IP Phone's.  I have 6 SPA942 Linksys Phones.  Two of them worked fine, however 4 of them lost network connectivity. They still had power but lost connectivity and displayed "Initializing Network" and just never finished. Once I removed the Cisco ESW500 switch from the network and reboot the phone they worked again.

Here is a list of ways I tried to connect the switch that caused the phone's to fail:

ESW 500  Gig Uplink to Current Switch Gig Uplink

ESW 500 10/100 port to Current Switch 10/100 Port

ESW 500 10/100 port to Firewall 10/100 Port

Once I removed the Cisco ESW 500 from the network things worked fine.

I now have my current switch providing the POE and Network for the Cisco Wireless and the Monitoring Device and all is well.

Here is the information on a couple of the phones:

Worked: 

Linksys Phone SPA942; SWVersion 5.2.5;  HWVersion: 2.0.3 (608b)

Failed:

Linksys Phone SPA942; SWVersion 5.2.5; HWVersion: 2.0.3 (53e5)

Linksys Phone SPA942; SWVersion 5.2.5; HWVersion: 2.0.2 (7503)

4 Replies 4

Mike,

Jay Weiss also reported this problem. I am working on a lab recreate to try to figure it out locally. Please stand by. Thanks for your patience.

Marcos

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

Can I recommend anyone with this problem setup a syslog server and log at least information if not debug messages from any device capable of doing this?  I'm just wondering if there are any errors generated that would lead to the problem and perhaps a solution.

BTW, we have our ESW connected to our LAN and our Vonage VoIP adapter works just fine. We also have a customer with 3 VLANs with the ESW attached to VLAN1 and there havn't been any problems with the other 2 VLANs.

It's not with the whole system.  It is just 4 of the phones.  The odd thing is all six are the same model Cisco phones just slightly different hardware versions.  Incidentally I have 2 other Polycom phones that also have no issues.

MIke,

Have you seen improvements after the migration to the Beta Diagnostics release?

Marcos