cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Topo should have IP address

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

Would it be possible for the default view in the topograph to list the IP of the device?  "Unknown" is really cumbersome and untelling.

4 Replies 4

Michael Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Brian, we had the IP listed there during development, but removed it as it seemed to be information overload and cluttered up that screen when there were a lot of hosts. Mouse-over shows the IP of course, but our thinking at the time was that if someone wanted to look at all the systems and search on the IP address, they would use the Inventory view instead.  Based on your feedback, I expect that we'll be adding even more sortable/searchable columns to that screen.  Does that suit your needs or do you think we need to add the IP back to the topolopy view?

-mike

If overal discovery isn't very close to 100% for systems (our customer 1051, not sure if you want us to actually name customers here), TBA failed to identify a single machine on the LAN, even my personal laptop connected directly to the ESW by wire then to the 4410N by wi-fi, then manually fixing the display will take a great deal of time if you have any signifigant number of devices.  I'm back to the though of giving us the choice of what to display and what not to.  If I had this I would be able to quickly identify each system then provide a common name then disable the display of IP addresses.

Understand.  As a dev I'm just curious as to why the Inventory layout isn't working better for you for this particular workflow.  Guessing that you want to be able to do everything from the one screen rather than switch between the two.  Would having those 2 layouts merged into one screen with the ability to instantly flip between the 2 views possibly help?

-mike

In 1051's case, there are 63 devices on their LAN and TBA wasn't able to identify any of them except 4 of the 7 printers and the RV082 router.  I haven't been able to figure out why.  I moved a computer and printer to the ESW to see if that would help, but the TBA didn't really change anything with those device when I moved them.

As for all in one place, the more info in one place the less frequently I have to jump somewhere else to find something and I for one don't find Flash very responsive when you jump back and forth between web pages.  I have increased the amount of data the Flash engine from adm.ciscovar.com can store locally but it really hasn't helped with speed.