cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs in same switch not showing...

netguyz08
Level 1
Level 1

I think this has been mentioned before, but I thought it might be a little different when the VLANs (which have totally separate IP address ranges) were all going through the same switch. They aren't discovered at all.

In fact, it leads me to believe why one server isn't showing up that has 3 NICs. Two of the NICs are on separate VLANs, but the remaining one doesn't show up at all. I even tried to add its MAC and IP address as a device, it accepted it, but then it doesn't show up at all.

4 Replies 4

We currently do not support multiple VLANs, but as you point out, this should only affect discovery. If you manually add the IP, you should be able to have all Thunderbolt features for that device. Can you send me a private message with the MAC, IP and customer number? We will take a look at why the device is not showing up.

Thanks!

Marcos

Michael Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

netguyz08 wrote:

I think this has been mentioned before, but I thought it might be a little different when the VLANs (which have totally separate IP address ranges) were all going through the same switch. They aren't discovered at all.

In fact, it leads me to believe why one server isn't showing up that has 3 NICs. Two of the NICs are on separate VLANs, but the remaining one doesn't show up at all. I even tried to add its MAC and IP address as a device, it accepted it, but then it doesn't show up at all.

Edward,

We haven't yet started development for supporting multiple VLANs or multiple subnets, so it's not surprising that the other 2 NICs aren't being seen by the TBA.  We understand the absolute necessity of eventually supporting both of these for small business networks, but it's a complicated problem that we're looking into how to best handle.  The main complication is that when the TBA isn't in the same broadcast domain it's difficult to discover things because we can't learn the MAC address to associate the device with.  We're currently experimenting with a new kernel with multi-VLAN support, so there is at least progress on this front.

On the 3rd NIC, which presumably is in the same VLAN as the TBA, is it addressed on a different IP subnet than what the TBA is on (via DHCP)?  If so, can it ping the TBA?   If not, TBA won't currently discover it because of the current limitation of a single IP subnet.  TBA currently disregards any IP not on the same subnet, as we didn't want edge devices such as ISP routers or further out on the internet to start leaking into the topology.  We'll eventually address this limitation too.

-mike

I realized that the MAC address for the device I was adding, was already added. It is a server that has VPN, so it was getting multiple IP addresses assigned on it. Just one icon remained in Inventory and Topology (which is good), but I finally figured it out by viewing the info on the device and seeing the MAC address was in there.

Also, I was able to add the other devices by IP address and MAC address. They are in a totally different IP address range (192.168.5.x vs. 10.123.180.x) but even though I can add them, any monitoring I try to do turns to red and fails. But I can see the device at least.

Ah, that explains the missing device.  By clicking on the gear (Options) icon at the top of the screen, you can change the device labels to also show the MAC on the topology screen.

The red glow around the device is an indication that the device isn't being seen by the discovery process but yet there are monitors configured for it.  Any monitors added for the device will still work and will properly send events to the portal.  Perhaps we can add in some logic to remove the glow when the device has been added manually and yet isn't seen by discovery.

-mike