cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Alert Sounds and other Ideas

jvanderwood
Level 1
Level 1

Before I get started I wanted to be sure to take a moment to thank whomever was responsible for adding additional SoftPhone ringtones. I know the following will sound ungrateful, so I wanted to address that first.

Pretty please, with sugar on top, let us pick and choose our own audio files for all alert types from the options menu. I'm not asking for it to be custom by contact or anything (although I wouldn't object to that), I just want each alert sound to be configurable to something that I can pick and choose from my own files. I ask for this for two reasons:

Firstly, this is a fundamental feature of all other IM clients I have used including WebEx Connect. I can't fathom why this feature was left out when the move to Jabber was made. It is a simple thing and in an office with dozens of other folks all using the same sound, its maddening to not know if that is your client beeping or someone else's.

Secondly, whomever is responsible for the only audio file choice for incoming IM messages seems to be intent on making it impossible to notice when you are getting a message. I thought the v9.7 "click" noise was nearly impossible to notice but it has now been taken to an entirely new level with 10.5 and this barely audible beep or chirp or whatever you want to call it. I've tried manually replacing it, but Jabber refuses to play anything but this noise. I'm not sure if it is a audio length or format issue. If it is a format issue, I am unable to determine what it is that I'm not picking correctly and if it is a length issue then .8 seconds is quite a limited restriction.

Another related idea is to please separate the audio device preference for IM related sounds and SoftPhone related sounds (Ringer/Alerts). These two things are not like each other and shouldn't be tied together this way.

My last suggestion is more graphical in nature. When you are making changes to the size of interface elements, please consider making the new sizes optional instead of mandatory. I much prefer the Contacts / Recents / Voice Messages / Meetings icons the way they were in 9.7. I've had to yield even more desktop space to the IM client than before and it is a little frustrating not to be able to opt to put it back the way it was. Frankly, if you were going to make them that large with no option to have them small, they should run across the top rather than down the side because of all the wasted space that they create now.

Thanks for reading,

-Jay

1 Reply 1

Geevarghese Cheria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jay

Hope these two are the feature request for Jabber IM.

1) adding additional customaziable SoftPhone ringtones.
2) new sizes for interface should be optional instead of mandatory

Would request you to refer -  Jabber for Windows feature request | Jabber Clients | Cisco Support Community | 5831 | 11560656  for related information.

Thanks and Regards,
Geevarghese