cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we detect whether CISCO Jabber is installed or not using javascript

ashish_rai
Level 1
Level 1

How can we detect Cisco jabber using javascript or Jquery.

3 Replies 3

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If referring to detecting whether the Jabber SDK 'Web Communicator' browser plugin is installed, the following code (from cwic.js) might be useful:

try {

var cwcObject = document.getElementById('cwc-plugin'); // re-select object

if (cwcObject) {

// plug-in is available

}

else {

throw getError('PluginNotAvailable');

}

My apology for incorrect explanation. I meant how can we detect CISCO Jabber client using javascript?

I assume that would fall in the general category of detecting installed applications via Javascript.  Not aware of any specific recommendations, but this StackOverFlow thread had some interesting ideas:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/291704/detect-from-browser-if-specific-application-is-installed

You can probably look in the registry to see what ActiveX/COM objects are installed as part of the Jabber Client, then attempt to load one via JS (obviously you would not be able to really do anything with the COM object, other than immediately unload it) and make a good assumption that the Jabber client is installed or not.

This kind of approach would likely be considered an unsupported 'hack, as the list of ActiveX/COM objects associated with Jabber is not published, and could change UUIDs, etc. potentially change across versions...but it might suffice for your use case.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: