cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can we make two applications using Jabber SDK to use same web communicator?

jeff000079
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am facing challenge to integrate Cisco Jabber web SDK with two application (one chat client, another web portal) not to clash when trying to access Cisco Web Communicator plugin that is required.

Is there any configuration available to applications so they dont step on each other on the same box.

Thanks

Jeff

5 Replies 5

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're talking only about chat (not voice/video) then your application is not using the add-on.  Jabber CAXL (chat) only uses the Javascript libraries, not a plug-in or add-on.  The add-on/plugin is for voice/video.  Let me know if you're talking about voice/video or just chat.

If you're using a browser store to maintain a Jabber chat session even when you refresh the page, then you can run into problems if you try to login from two different browser tabs, but that's a browser issue, not a Jabber SDK issue.  There are ways to get around that, though, especially if you're talking about two different web applications.

Thanks for your answer. I am talking about voice/video plugin integration with browser (our app portal) and chat client (sametime) in the same desktop. Now user cannot login with both at the same time.  The second login always gets error that the plugin is already in use. What is your generic recommendation to get around that?

This is probably not going to work, as the plugin is designed only to work inside a single browser instance and has no facility to coordinate with javascript running in another browser instance.

Can you describe (fairly precisely) what the use-cases and scenarios you are trying to accomplish might be?  Perhaps we can suggest a workaround or different approach...

Thanks again. The use case is as follows,

Two applications in same machine

- We have desktop IM client, which we provide a plugin to integrate with CUCM.

- We have Browser portal, which also integrated with LDAP. Here also we use Cisco Jabber SDK plugin to integrate with CUCM.

When the user is logged in with either one of the browser portal or desktop IM client, everything is working. When the user tries to login to both applications from same machine, the latest gets registered and other one disconnects. We want to support the scenarios where the user logs in both applications (IM client, browser portal) at the same time, so they can experience voice/video calling from both applications without having to remember if they logged in one or the other.

Any advise will tremendously help the user experience.

regards

Jeff

Thanks, I think I see where you are going, but a few additional questions:

- Is the 'desktop IM client' a browser-based application?  If not, can you further describe how you provide a plugin (Jabber?) to integrate with CUCM?

- Can you elaborate further on the how the user will 'experience voice/video calling from both applications?'  Does this mean that if App1 is in a video call, that App2 would also display the video call and have equal control over it?  Is there an assumption that a call in progress in App1 would mean App2 does not have call control (or video windows) until the call in App1 is ended?

- Other details on the expected interactions of the two apps re features/states may be helpful

- Would it be acceptable to only init/register Jabber in the app just prior to launching a call?  (thinking about use-cases for in-bound calls...)

I suspect that we need to advise you to consider some sort of mechanism for the two applications to coordinate and cooperate in controlling the single Jabber resource.  For example the IM-client could be primarily responsible for instantiating and controlling the Jabber instance via the SDK, while the browser portal could communicate with the IM-client via some defined RPC mechanism (probably routed through a back-end application server) to issue remote-control like commands.

Also see the CUCM CTI interfaces - TAPI and JTAPI - which can provide server-side app with monitor/control of Cisco phone devices, including Jabber SDK endpoints.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: