Views
Helpful
Replies

how to implement the touchscreen keyboard on cisco ip phone 9971

chao guo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I met a question that when I want to implement the function of touchscreen keyboard on cisco ip phone 9971. I want  to implement the funtion like the following picture shows:

QQ鎴浘20140619104621.png

I can insert the touchscreen keyboard on the ip phone, but when I insert the "inputbox" of  'Last Name,First Name, Company', the cisco ip phone service show me the error info of "XML Parese Error !"

Dose this mean that more that one tag of cisco ip phone service can not be added in one page ?

many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are correct, only one of the CiscoIPPhone XML Objects can be displayed by the phone at a time.  It is not possible to combine both a CiscoIPPhoneGraphicFileMenu and CiscoIPPhoneInput.  The screen shot shown is pretty misleading...

It is theoretically possible to implement something like this solely with CiscoIPPhoneGraphicFileMenu:

- GraphicFileMenu shows the blank 'input fields' and 'keyboard' as depicted

- TouchAreas are defined for each 'letter' on the image, as well as for the 'input fields' at the top

- If the user presses the TouchArea associated with 'A', the application dynamically recreates and returns the entire graphic, with the letter 'A' painted into the 'First Name' box, for example

- This can continue, with the application receiving touch inputs from the user, and repainting the entire graphic based on the logical 'results'

In reality we have seen that onscreen 'keyboard' interfaces do not work well for a couple of reasons:

- Phones with touch screens tend to have high-res color screens, which can take several second to download/update in between requests

- Phones have a limited number of TCP sockets allocated to the IP Phone Services API function, and a socket is consumed for each request.  It can take several minutes for a socket to leave TCP TIME_WAIT state after use and become available again.  This means that 'typing' more than a few characters will cause the 'keyboard' to stop working

- Applications must implement server-side image-drawing/update capabilities which means additional complexity/difficulty

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Stover
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should be able to have up to 5 <InputItem> tags in a single <CiscoIPPhoneInput> Element. Is that what you're trying to implement?

You are correct, only one of the CiscoIPPhone XML Objects can be displayed by the phone at a time.  It is not possible to combine both a CiscoIPPhoneGraphicFileMenu and CiscoIPPhoneInput.  The screen shot shown is pretty misleading...

It is theoretically possible to implement something like this solely with CiscoIPPhoneGraphicFileMenu:

- GraphicFileMenu shows the blank 'input fields' and 'keyboard' as depicted

- TouchAreas are defined for each 'letter' on the image, as well as for the 'input fields' at the top

- If the user presses the TouchArea associated with 'A', the application dynamically recreates and returns the entire graphic, with the letter 'A' painted into the 'First Name' box, for example

- This can continue, with the application receiving touch inputs from the user, and repainting the entire graphic based on the logical 'results'

In reality we have seen that onscreen 'keyboard' interfaces do not work well for a couple of reasons:

- Phones with touch screens tend to have high-res color screens, which can take several second to download/update in between requests

- Phones have a limited number of TCP sockets allocated to the IP Phone Services API function, and a socket is consumed for each request.  It can take several minutes for a socket to leave TCP TIME_WAIT state after use and become available again.  This means that 'typing' more than a few characters will cause the 'keyboard' to stop working

- Applications must implement server-side image-drawing/update capabilities which means additional complexity/difficulty

Hi dstaudt,

Thanks for your detail explanations about this problem. from your explanations I know more about it.

Thanks mstover for your quick response.

I want to add the tag CiscoIPPhoneGraphicFileMenu and CiscoIPPhoneInput at a time to implement this function what shows in the picture. I am not very clear whether this can be implemented.