cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bug Search Tool - Please Give us Your Feedback

sebberts
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thank you for your patience this weekend with our updates to the tool.  As we are still in beta with Bug Search Tool, please provide any feedback to our Bug Search Tool Team at bss-beta-feedback@cisco.com.  We will continue to enhance the tool over the next several months and appreciate your feedback and suggestions for improvement!

Thank you on behalf of the Bug Search Tool Team!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Many years ago, a friend of mine sent me this:

Beta-test, v.  To voluntarily entrust one's data, one's livelihood and one's sanity to hardware or software intended to destroy all three.  In earlier days, virgins were often used to beta-test volcanoes.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Susann,

Hope life is treating you well

I'm using BST almost exclusively now in favor of the Bug Toolkit but I

still have one major "pet peeve". This is the inability to switch versions

when searching.

So let's say I search via;

Product criteria - Cisco Unity Connection, software version - 8.5, version type - All

and then the next page populates with all 739 bugs....this is good! But I cannot move

to Software version 8.6 or 7.1 etc. without going back to the very beginning It's not the

"end of the world" but does seem like a very valuable piece of the puzzle that is available

even in BTK. Is this something we can expect to see in an upcoming release??

The other thing I haven't figured out (no surprise here ) is the;

Bug ID - Headline (sorted by relevancy)

What is this telling us? It doesn't seem to sort by the number of cases,severity etc.

so what is the "relevancy"?

I love everything else you and the team have done so far with BST so thanks for all the great work!!

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Hi Rob,

We met briefly when I first started, but I wanted to introduce myself and respond to your comments.  I am the new product manager for BST and yes, the ability to refine versions on the search results page will be in our next release.

As far as the bug id relevancy, I'll follow back up wiht you on that.  I need to dig around to find its intent.

Would you be interested in participating in a few customer prioritizations sessions with me?  I am looking for feedback on major pain points, things that would help you and things that would wow you.  I have some cool things in the works and am ready to start engaging with the people that would be using them. 

Let me know if you are interested!!!

Thanks!

Christine

Hey Christine,

I remember our virtual "meet and greet" well from back in March. I think we

were driving Susann nuts with our incessant chatter

Congratulations on your new job/position/title. This seems like a well deserved promotion to be sure!

I am super happy to hear about the inclusion of this feature in the next BST release! I'm pretty

sure you and I were discussing the need for this capability during the Webex so it's nice that

the version refinement has made the cut! WooHoo!

I would be most interested in anything that will further the development of BST or any other

online tools, so count me in.

Cheers!

Rob

PS: any ETA for the next release?

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

hi Rob,

I finally figured out what 'relevancy' reffers to in your question above.

Its not actually the relevancy of the defect identifier, but the relevancy of all of your search criteria  (so its a closest match to all of the conditions you have entered).

It is confusing currently

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Christine,

Hope all is well with you

Just wondering how things are going on the BST front? I haven't

seen any of the changes coming down the pipe since we last spoke.

Is the whole "BST" idea still being developed or did it fall off the rails

somewhere along the way. I've been finding it less and less stable over

the last week or so and have had to go back to using BTK for all my searches.

This is totally understandable as BST is still in Beta, but I'm curious none the less.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen

hi Rob,

I appologize for the recent instability. We should have this taken care of by early next week.

BST has a big year ahead for it, I am working with my engineering team to finalize delivery dates and we are almost at a concept commit stage.

I have gotten all of the groups involved to sign off on concepts for the changes and the details and implementation are pending.  (I know I have been saying this for a while, unfortunatley we had a temporary shift in priorities and are currently working to integrate our bug information as organic search results on Cisco.com so when a customer/ partner looks for a specific phrase that matches a bug, we will display a snipet of that bug along with all other related content and allow the user to click directly into the bug details in btk--  or eventually BST).

A few of the goals of our next release are as follows:

1. Improve Quality of Bug Data -
    1. improving time to market for these bugs
    2. closer integration back with product engineering teams
    3. improving data related to versions
  2. Tool availability and Stability  -
    1. your comment above speaks well to the intent of this goal
    2. browser support for modern browsers (IE9, FF14)
  3. User Experience (UE)
    1. refining your search directly from the search results page (especially for versions)
    2. fix the export so you can get all the information you are interested in without the excel 1024 cell charecter limit
    3. allow an easier way for users to scan through the contents of of release notes to see if they are relevant without having to open each bug individually.

I'd  be interested to know what your thoughts are on these items.

Thanks for all of your support!!

-Christine

Hey Christine,

No need to apologize, Beta means "use at own risk"

Thanks for all the great updates! I especially look forward to;

1-2 - closer integration back with product engineering team

1-3 - improving data related to versions

3-1 - refining your search directly from the search results page (especially for versions

3-3 - allow an easier way for users to scan through the contents of of

release notes to see if they are relevant without having to open each bug individually.

The "organic" search results idea seems like like a winner as well. Anything that helps

pinpoint Bugs before they bite you, is a wonderful thing.

Thanks again for taking the time to give us these updates Christine. Much appreciated!

Cheers!

Rob

Beta means "use at own risk"

No.  It means "it BETA be working now".

Too true for our users Leo +5

Cheers!

Rob

LOL the Aussie made a funny!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Many years ago, a friend of mine sent me this:

Beta-test, v.  To voluntarily entrust one's data, one's livelihood and one's sanity to hardware or software intended to destroy all three.  In earlier days, virgins were often used to beta-test volcanoes.

Hey Phillip,

That's pretty funny and sadly, somewhat true as well +5

Cheers!

Rob

Now this deserves an "VIP Endorsed"!

g1smdvoip
Level 3
Level 3

Clicking the start a discussion link from a reported bug, allows a discussion to start but there's a problem with the discussion title.

All of the spaces in the title are converted to %20 and unless manually edited, creates an unreadable title like this:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2188949

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: