cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Skills for all IPv6 Double colon problem/bug

youriwessel
Level 1
Level 1

While working on Networks Basics for CCST Cybersecurity, I have come across a problem.

I was doing the 10.2.6 Activity-IPv6 Address Representation, converting the IPv6 addresses into their compressed form.
After converting this address; 2001:0000:0db8:1111:0000:0000:0000:0200 into its compressed form; 2001:0:db8:1111::200 omitting leading zeros and following the clearly stated rules for double colons section 10.2.5 "The double colon (::) can only be used once within an address, otherwise there would be more than one resulting address." the program says its incorrect and while pressing show me for the right answer, gives this value; 2001::db8:1111::200 . 

I have not been able to find any statements to an exception of the double colon rule.
I have attached screenshots and hope someone can help me figure out if i am wrong and missed something or the program has a bug.

1 Reply 1

jeremykral666
Level 1
Level 1

I also just stumbled across a similar question with the exact problem. Where Cisco claims that the answer could have two colons twice, when the rule only allows for it once. I think it's a simple overlook and mistake on Cisco's part. Plus, logically, it makes sense. When you're converting the compressed version back to the full version, it must produce one answer/result only. If there were two or more double colons, that would mean there's multiple possibilities of what the IPv6 address could be; and that would be detrimental.