Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCvw50190 - Enh RV260 Need more detailed explanation in Admin Guide

hi all,

just wondering if it is clear for everyone how to setup Client-to-Site IPSec VPN with Admin guide in terms of "Remote identifier" fields. it is described much better into RV180 guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv180w/administration/guide/rv180w_admin.pdf (pages 113-114). there is a good pointer to ISAKMP that bring more lite to what is exactly should be there. it makes not much sense without the pointer:

"In the Remote section, enter the Identifier Type to specify the Internet Security Association and Key Management Protocol (ISAKMP) identifier for the remote router"

any thoughts? 

another question: have anybody seen the ASN1DN option on RV260? I did not

"Select the remote identifier from the drop-down list (IP Address, FQDN, User FQDN, or ASN1DN). Next enter the name or IP address for the remote identifier."

I'm not denying that it's only me. any comments?

5 Replies 5

so, after long discussion sounds like Cisco does not care about documentation and not ready to impro documentation. that's being sad. 

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Dmitry

IKE protocol (IKEv1/IKEv2) is used to negotiate between 2 IPsec-Peer-Gateways to create IPSec-SAs on both gateways to enable encryption/decryption/integrity-checks of the data that is transferred between them in the ipsec tunnel that is established after the negotiation is over

IKEv1 protocol has 2 Phases called Main-Mode/Phase-1 and Quick-Mode/Phase-2

- In Main-Mode, there are 6 messages exchanged betwen the 2 peers that want to establish a ipsec tunnel

- Messag1&2 exchnged between the 2 peers contain algorithms-selected/etc (called proposals)

- Messages 3&4 are exchanged between the peers to pass to each some public values that are used in a formula/algorithm called Diffie-Hellman algorithm....here at this point both the peers would have create a symmetric encryption/authentication keys to start encrypting the next phase of exchanges between them..

- So now Messages 5&6 are exchanged between them and these are encrypted using the keys created in above step (after message3&4)

BUT in there is also a check that is for the Peers themselves to be mutually authenticated and to do so they have identifiers for themselves that are programmed/configured by you when you are configuring the s2s vpn tunnel and/or the C2S vpn server (and clients)

Only after this step (called the IKE-Authentication Exchanges  of Main-Mode), and the auth is passed will the peers move to the next Phase-2/Quick-Mode (which is encrypted as messages-5/6 are).

So Identifiers that are used in the IKE-negotiation between the IPsec-Peers (used in IKE-Auth negotiation phase) are:

When PSK is used for IKE-Auth there are 3 standard IDs that can be used by each of the IPSec-Peers and both will exchange their IDs during IKE-Auth process

1. ID-Type-1: FQDN

- Here only in this case you may use values such as gw1.local.net, servergw.test.net, corpHQ.net, server.net, etc...but i suggest it should be in the form of "hostname.somedomain.net"...this proper, rfc-standard method...

2. ID-Type-UFQDN; User-FQDN

- this will be always in the email-id syntax: client@gate.net, client@branch.local.net, etc

3. ID-Type: IPAddress

- This will always be the default ID that is used when the user/admin does not explicitly confiure any other ID

- this will always be by default the wan-ipaddress/pubic-ipaddress using which the IPsec-Peers will communicate with each other...

- very rarely do admins confiure a ipaddress which is NOT the wan-ipaddress

When Certificates are used for IKE-Autth, there are 3 IDs that could be used

Note: It is at this point (after selecting Certificate for ike- auth) that the ID option ASN1DN becomes activated/displayed for selection in the RV-routers 

1 ASN1DN: which will be the subject-field of the certificate used by that peer...its also called a Distinguished Name (DN)

2. FQDN : here it always would be the dns-address/fqdn that is present in the subjectAltName field of the certificate

3 UFQDN: here it will always be the email-id that is present in the subjecAltName field of the certficate used by the peer

In IKEv2 also, the method is similar/same (with some more advanced features also supported), but in IKEv2 the below are the phases/messages exchanged between the peers

a) IKE_SA_INIT messages 1 and 2

b) IKE-Auth messages 3 & 4 (and this where the Identifiers are exchanged)

c) CHILD_SA Messages (like quick-mode in IKEv1)

In all of these above, its to be noted for reference that the Local & Remote Identifiers are to be seen with each Peer's perspective

- for Peer1, local-id would be for itself, and remote-ID would be of Peer2

- and correspondingly and its in reverse, the remote-ID configured in Peer1 would be the Local-ID of Peer2, and the Local-ID of Peer1 would become the Remote-ID configured in Peer2

hope this info is useful for future reference and further study....check out the RFC for IKEv2(and IKEv1 for comparison)

hello,

thank you for explanation. it makes sense now. even if it sounds a bit odd from user prospective. for instance: why as an VPN user I have to put any additional FQDN/IP or something or why should i know something other than the server IP and my credentials. agreed, this is debatable as it's about usability only, but still.

however, there is nothing like that under documentation. even any reference would help a lot. for example as it's mentioned under RV180 admin guide. there is RFC is mentioned. moreover, L1/L2 support did not provide so clear points  

and the last point: there is no "ASN1DN" under RV260 dropdown menu, but it's there into RV260 administration guide. don't you think this is a bug? 

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

>>>Note: It is at this point (after selecting Certificate for ike- auth) that the ID option ASN1DN becomes activated/displayed for selection >>in the RV-routers 

I had mentioned that the ASN1DN option appears in the dropdown list for Local-ID/Remote-ID ONLY when you select Certificate for IKE-Auth in the VPN-tunnel configs

Example is the attached screenshot when you configure a IKEv1 S2S tunnel with Certificates....since i did not have any specific certs imported into my RV260 at this time...for this example i have selected the "Default" cert and selected one of the CA-certs in the list shown...this is just for example, 

- so once we select cert, we can see that the ASN1DN option is displayed in the drop-down list...

hello,

got the point now. so then, this is only about documentation then. i'm still not convinced that RV260 Admin guide has necessary data and clear description especially for C2S configuration.

thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: