Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration vm for vsphere with the vlan network

Ciscorudy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have been trying for some time to get cisco dashboard to work from the vm installed on my virtualized infrastructure integrated in my vlan segmented network.

The problem is that the dashboard does not detect any of my 50 switches in my installation.

Here is an example of my network configuration and ip configuration of the dashboard.

Vlan 2 -> network sw -> id vlan 2 -> ip : 172.30.2.0/28 gateway 172.30.2.1

Vlan 3 -> network dashboard -> id vlan 3 -> ip : 172.30.3.0/28 gateway 172.30.3.1

Vlan 4 -> network system -> id vlan 4 -> ip : 172.30.4.0/28 gateway 172.30.4.1

When configuring the dashboard I entered the following configuration :

Ip -> 172.30.3.2/28

Gateway -> 172.30.3.1

Could you tell me where the error comes from? 

Or if dashboard is compatible with vlan operation? If yes, please explain me how to proceed to finally see my switches on my network. 

Obviously  have activated the probe on the switches.

Thank you in advance for help.

Yours,

3 Replies 3

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there,

CBD is absolutely compatible with vlans and can manage networks with devices in different vlans.  However, it does need to be able to discover at least one device to be able to explore the rest of the network, and that first device is usually the device the probe application is attached to or is in the same vlan as the probe.

If I understand you correctly, the management interfaces of the switches are on vlan 2 and the dashboard is on vlan 3, right?  The exact problem here will depend a lot on the details of the topology, but it seems most likely to me that the dashboard is not able to see any of the switches as being either directly attached or in the same broadcast domain and so is not able to identify anywhere to start discovering the network.  You say you have enabled the probes on the switches, but if all 50 switches are on the same vlan 2, then the probe application in the switch will shut down to protect the switch operation.  The embedded probe in the switch is only able to support 15 devices and will shut down if it discovers more.

It is going to be hard to give you a fix here as the solution will depend very much on exactly how the network is put together.  Can I suggest you contact the support team using the local phone number listed at https://cisco.com/go/sbcs and have an engineer work through the problem with you.  It should be simple enough to resolve once they get an understanding of exactly how the network is put together.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hello,

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm not sure how to fix it with the probe. I'm not sure how to fix it with the probe.

I am sure that my network works and its standard segmentation. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to put the probe directly in the vlan sw. It doesn't seem very safe or ergonomic to me. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to put the probe in the sw vlan, as I have several SW vlan's (process, security,...) it would be difficult to put it in the sw vlan.

Shouldn't we modify the configuration directly in Linux to allow the operation (Parameter which would not be accessible in GUI mode)?

Is it necessary to activate the probe mode on the switches? For info they are cbs 250 & 350.

I have a licence for 50 computers.

Thank you for your help.

It's hard to be specific without understanding the network topology better, but it seems likely that the best approach here would be to connect the CBD VM directly to the switch VLAN and allow it to discover the devices directly.  There might be other approaches that would work as well, but I'd suggest talking the problem through with a support engineer to see if there are any better options in your case.

Cheers,

Dave.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: