Views
Helpful
Replies

career path and certifciations

Tromposky
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

Is it possible to study cisco (networking) only? I currently work support at a major Datacenter, and am curious how to break into just networking. Many of the engineers that I work with have multiple certifications, and hopped around a bit to various system teams. Anyway, im curious how linear most careers are in networking? 

Once I obtain my CCNA, should i quit, and look for purely networking job? Is it a must to get a Microsoft Server Certification? or Linux?

Thanks for the advice. 

2 Replies 2

Monica Lluis
Level 9
Level 9

Hello,

You could try the Routing and Switching certifications if you are interested in networking only.  You  can get more detail advise in the Cisco Learning Network.

Monica Lluis

Community Manager

I hope you and your love ones are safe and healthy
Monica Lluis
Community Manager Lead

wisdom
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tromposky,

Hope you are doing well. I presume you are working in Data Center support like cabling, cooling, patching etc.,

For Cisco Career certification you can go to cisco.com -> Training Events -> view all certifications.

If you are not sure which path to choose then click the hyperlink on the same page Explore the Career Guide.

If you are really interested in networking then you can do the networking courses like starting from CCNA Routing Switching then once you complete then you will get more ideas to move further.

I cannot comment or suggest about leaving your job and trying another job. Its you who should decide based on your situation and circumstances. Plan before anything.

Do not confuse the Cisco Data Center Certification and data center maintenance/management course which is given below.

If you want to go more into data center maintenance/management there are other courses like CDCMP

so make sure you are clear in which way you are going to travel.