Views
Helpful
Replies

Checking Cisco equipment for my lab

ahmad1982
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am preparing lab at home and i bought some Cisco equipment and have some thoughts ( doubts ).

1- how can i check if these equipment are brand new or refurbished? supplier told me its new, but !

2- assuming that i am in Middle East, and the supplier broght the equipment from somewhere else, meaning that in case if the equipment not meant to be sold in the Middle East, do i have any support from cisco " locally " ? 

3- If its brand new, how can check if these equipment meant to be sold in my area ?

i tried on cisco website but found that i must be partner to get these details.

A

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

(1).  Not easy to tell looking at the kit.  When the Cisco partner orders the refurbished kit the partner number usually has -RF at the end of it.

(2). You only get support if you have a Cisco maintenance contract, such as a SmartNet.  If you have that then you have support.

(3). I don't believe you could check this, unless it is something like WiFi kit that has a regulatory domain.  In which case the regulatory domain is often embedded in the part number.

If you have a machine with at least 8GB of RAM (I prefer 12GB), and a quad core i7, then have you considered using the official Cisco simulator, VIRL?

http://virl.cisco.com/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

(1).  Not easy to tell looking at the kit.  When the Cisco partner orders the refurbished kit the partner number usually has -RF at the end of it.

(2). You only get support if you have a Cisco maintenance contract, such as a SmartNet.  If you have that then you have support.

(3). I don't believe you could check this, unless it is something like WiFi kit that has a regulatory domain.  In which case the regulatory domain is often embedded in the part number.

If you have a machine with at least 8GB of RAM (I prefer 12GB), and a quad core i7, then have you considered using the official Cisco simulator, VIRL?

http://virl.cisco.com/

Thanks Philip.

yes i tried to go with Virl but from what i understand it doesnt support VSS.

R,

A