Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking to re-start studying engineering at 25

newphase25
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I don't know if this is the right forum to post in, but it seemed the most logical, as the question I'm asking might be a little odd. Since this is a community started and run by engineers, I figured people here might be the best to advice me on this

I'm from India and I'm currently pursuing a career in music(yes, i'm serious lol) for the past 6 years. I was studying EEE in Delhi and I studied for 2 semesters(1year) before I dropped out. I didn't like my college at all and when I was given a chance to do music full-time I didn't even think twice. Also I think I was a bit immature back then and tended to be impulsive quite easily. After all these years, I've started feeling this strong urge to go back and finish my degree(not from the same college though). I used to be a pretty decent Science student back in school. I scored fairly well in my Board examinations(scored above 90 in both Maths and Physics) and I always had an interest in the sciences. It's just that a combination of over-excitedness, wierd college atmosphere and odd teachers turned me off the subject completely then.

Do you think it's possible for me to get back to starting engineering from scratch? Has anyone here been in this situation? I wish to do the same course i.e. Electrical and Electronics as I've always been fascinated with semiconductors and circuits and their analyses. It's just that I've been really out of touch with both Maths and Physics and this is making me quite nervous! Are there any tips on what all I should to brush up on if I'm planning to start my course next year? Are there any online resources that I can checkout. Something a bit structured would be great since its overwhelming to just start watching random youtube tutorials on different topics just to find out I have no idea on a lot of things being said.

Thank you!

2 Replies 2

Great decision that is never to late ( and at least not with 25) ...

If you want a more structured approach to learning, then the courses on https://www.coursera.org could be a possibility. There are many topics in Math, Physics, Electronics, ...

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Personally, i would go for a 1-2 year IT course instead. If there's a college offering CCNA, then that's another option.

A college degree (especially engineering) takes longer time to finish, usually 4 years. With your current age, you might start late and companies might think twice hiring you (realistically speaking).

I'm an Electronics Engineer myself and I tell you, Math (and calculator) will be your best friend until you graduate. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

P.S. - If you check out my pic here, that's my college thesis/project. It's basically an SMS-to-Braille device.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App