cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Thanks to Dan

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

Thanks for starting this little niche for all us nerdy types to share stories.

Rob.....Golden Bikni's? The visual just made me shiver and now I have to get a lobotomy again to wipe it from my mind.

Maria.....you are truly the Goddess of the Cafe, Leo is mearly the court jester.

Burleyman....AKA Cross-over cable guy

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Honestly, I don't think the success of CSC has anything to do with me.

Yes you did, Dan.  You led CSC this far and without the "blessing" Cisco Cafe wouldn't have gone to a point of near-self-distruction due to it's loooooooooong posts.  By the way ... where is the new Cisco Cafe going?

Leo.....Cisco Social-----> Cisco Cafe

Hey ment to ask you...are you a rugby fan?

Mike

Hey Mike,

*click*  The light-bulb just went on (DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!).

I thought Dan would open a topic called "Cisco Cafe".  He he he ...

Sure.  Rugby fan here. 

Leo,

Earlier this year I just happened to watch a rugby match between All Blacks and Ireland and absolutely love it. I am a big football fan ( NFL ) NOT Soccer how boring that is. What a great sport  rugby is and I wish I had come across it sooner. About half way through and watching the style of play between the All Blacks and Ireland I now have my team I cheer for and follow...the All Blacks. I am sure you are a Wallabies fan.

Mike

Unlike American grid iron, rugby doesn't have any protective gear (except mouth guards and something for the "family jewels").  Other than that, it's pretty awsome.  Gets grittier if the ground is soaking wet!  Can't tell who's who until someone scores or get fouled.  He he he ...

Mike

NOT Soccer how boring that is.

Sorry, just can't let that pass. By the way i think you will find the correct term is "football" not "soccer"   Another way of referring to it is the "Beautiful Game" and there is a reason it's called that.

Now i appreciate that the North American Continent is pretty much a football wasteland, even though annoyingly the US has hosted the World Cup a lot more recently than we have (and believe me, we need all the help we can get), but still can't let it pass. I'm going to be generous and just assume you haven't watched the right matches ie. Manchester United vs pretty much anyone else, although to be honest we are not the team we used to be.

I have to say i have, up until now, always found you to be one of the most intelligent participants on these forums but i am seriously going to have to rethink that in light of your above comment

Edit - Dan - sorry my outrage got the better of me, many thanks for opening up this new cafe, as always you have delivered what we all wanted.

Jon

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Mike,

Thanks for opening this thread to kick-off the all new Cafe!

Here's another vote for Dan

This is another example of Dan always following through

on his promises. Great work!

Cheers!

Rob

Sorry Jon, did not mean to offend. I actually have watched Manchester United and I will say it was not that bad to watch. It is not that I hate soccer just find it boring to watch on TV. In the states it is soccer so as not to confuse it with the NFL football. Unfortunately it will probably never be the sport here in the states as it is in other places in the world. I do like going to soccer....I mean football, games live and watch but still a little boring to me, just like I find Baseball boring to watch but don't mind going to a live game. I always thought the game would be a little more exciting if they made the pitch a little smaller length and width and maybe made it 9 players instead of 11 and removed the offsides foul. To me when the best team, Manchester United, only get 1 shot on goal every 15 minutes on average seems a little boring. I am a NFL football, Basketball (college and just started getting into the NBA), and now Rugby fan, I like the quick pace and the physical nature of the game.

Jon, just for you I will catch another Manchester United match and give it another go.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike

No offense taken.

To be honest now would not be a good time to watch Man U as we are pretty average at the moment and that's being kind. So no need to subject yourself to another match just yet. I'll give you a shout when/if we get better and you can catch a game then

Jon

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Guys,

Plus 5 to each of you for opening the "New" Cafe with some Sports-talk! hahahahaha!

I see no one is talking Hockey, which is, of course, the GREATEST game going. Just kidding

Jon....people over here just don't get Football (Soccer) unless they've played it. Which I did for many years.

In fact Canada has one of the highest Soccer (sorry Jon) registrations of any youth sport. So why

do we suck so bad at it? It's probably because our fields (pitches) can only be used 3 months a year

due to weather....(well it's not quite that bad, but that's our excuse and we're sticking to it!) Anyway,

it clear to see we have some diehard sports fans here

PS: good luck with you next game against the arch rival Man City (they are getting a little close for comfort)

Mike.... I had to laugh when you mentioned going to "Live" games....hahahaha! You and I like them

because they serve Food & Drink....so the game just doesn't matter so much I think we should ask

Dan to bring us all in to see a game or two, any sport, as long as he pays for the Food & Drink. He better

bring his Cisco Visa if Leo is coming. We may get into some trouble.

Leo....thanks for your "Light Bulb Moment" I'm still chuckling over that one

Cheers!

"Smooth" Rob

Rob

Didn't know that about Canada. The state of the pitches might explain why one of your more famous football exports ie. Owen Hargreaves has spent the last 2 years having his knees sorted only to then tweak his hamstring when he finally got on at the weekend. We could do with him fit at last but i'm not holding my breath.

And yes, the other side of Manchester are indeed getting a bit close for comfort. Only a couple of years back we could be fairly certain of the 3 points, that is if City were actually in the Premier League. Now things are a bit different but at least the local derby is now getting a bit more passionate.

Obviously if we lose tonight i may have to take a few days off to recuperate

Jon

During the 1970's, a group of reporters were invited to visit a Latin American country after the country experienced some "spectacular" changes to the government.  The tour was lead by a Colonel and one of the reporters asked him what the national sport is.

"Our national sport is soccer", the Colonel replied, "however, our number two pastime is c0ck fighting."

"Oh, dear," the came the response from other reporters, "Isn't that revolting?"

"No," came the response from the Colonel, "that's our number one pastime."