cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Type of Python scripts that will move me into a Network Engineer role

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

So I'm still looking to get into a N.E. role. I've got something similar doing hardware testing, and 1.5 months ago I got accepted as a Junior Level N. Engineer, the Network Manager is waiting for approval to send the offer letters out, and so I don't know what's going on with that, but when he gets approval I'm hired.

So I restarted applying yesterday, and I'm looking to add some scripts to my resumé/ Github. 

A little background. I got my CCNP Enterprise (I plan on taking the ENARSI in about 4 weeks actually, I passed the ENCOR with a 92%, and I plan on passing this), and I learned Python to the extent where I wrote applications and scripts, so my Python is pretty decent.

On my resumé I included something that reacts to EEM pings, strips the ip header off the ping, logs into the device, finds the interface with traffic, and goes off arp tables to each device find congestion in a network. It's a passive program which runs continuously (ideally on a server). I wrote some other stuff too. These are all in GNS/EVE-NG environments.

I'm trying to decide between one of two things next to improve my chances, just in case this other job falls through.

One is port firewall rules. Take a set of ACL's with ports. SSH into devices check if they exist, give the use the option to plug in the ACL by itsel or a group object into the device. Then check inbound and outbound TCP connections/UDP (inside and outside the network), before and after the changes and compare the effects. I plan on running the code on a Linux VM inside EVE-NG against a bunch of firewalls/routers/switches, amking a quick video and uploading the code to github.

The other one is run configurations on devices, and check internal and external connectivity before and after the configs are uploaded, as well as any routing table changes (example pinging a range of subnets before and after the changes).

Which one of these 2 scripts would help improve my chances of getting a job? They're both going to be only in EVE-NG of course, but with actual device firmware, maybe I'll run the TCP connections/pings to outside websites or servers.

I'm trying to think which of the two would firstly impress HR more (as they only seem to care about experience), and then the employer themselves.

Any suggestions would be appreciated especially coming from people with experience.

16 Replies 16

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Most HR are not technical, so i don't think it matters to HR, however if I was you, I would mention your work in technical interviews. Even if they don't ask you things you have worked on, you can still say, let me explain what i can do and explain … I think your work is relevant. If i was hiring i will consider you for your programming and automation skills. 

-hope this helps-

Thanks, yeah its wierd. Every interview and callback I've gotten has been from a Network Manager, owner, 3rd party recruiter, I don't think i've every got a positive response from HR. These were the ones that led to interviews which is what I meant to say.  The network manager one hired me apparently, but yeah no offer letter yet so I can't wait. It's brutal without experience in networking, although I do have experience in tech positions.

Thanks for the advice.

Any other advice appreciated, as well as which of the two scipts would be a better idea for me to work on for improving my chances.

where are you physically located ? 

-hope this helps-

Near D.C.

i have send you a DM check, also don't think about this script or that script, do all you can. network does not involve firewall or routing, its both and more. 

-hope this helps-

Okay thanks

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

Okay so if anyone has advice on which of the two scripts would leave more of an impression on a potential employer

1) port firewall rules. Take a set of ACL's with ports. SSH into devices check if they exist, give the use the option to plug in the ACL by itsel or a group object into the device. Then check inbound and outbound TCP connections/UDP (inside and outside the network), before and after the changes and compare the effects. I plan on running the code on a Linux VM inside EVE-NG against a bunch of firewalls/routers/switches, amking a quick video and uploading the code to github.

2) The other one is run configurations on devices, and check internal and external connectivity before and after the configs are uploaded, as well as any routing table changes (example pinging a range of subnets before and after the changes).

Please let me know, as I'm going to be starting the script this weekend and eventually putting it on Github, and would like some suggestions. I can even share it when done.

What will leave more of an impression on a potential employer is demonstrating that you understand what business they are in, why a network benefits their business, and how your technical skills can add to the business’s top or bottom lines.

Unless you are interviewing with a service provider, the employer is not in the network business per se. They are in manufacturing, retail, construction, transportation, government services, financial services, etc. A network can be crucial to the success of that business and it would be impressive if you could articulate why it is crucial. In the end, a network is solving a business problem for these employers; if you want to talk about scripting in an interview, make sure you can explain what business problem a script solves and what the business benefit is. 

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

That helps so so much. I'm going to keep this in mind. I'm a bit trying to gear the scripts themselves to do that talking for me. I'm planning to do the firewall script. Check for ACLS rules, if they don't exist give the user the option to put them into object groups or insert it into existing rules, and check the connectivity b4 and after.

And also some additional functionality: example type in an IP address and blacklist it from all the FW's, and maybe a couple of other things. 

The reason why I keep mentioning scripts over and over is because I got pretty quick at writing them, so I'm thinking of uploading a few more different one's to my resumé to improve my chances.

With little experience in networking (I did some internal networking years ago when I was developing SQL databases for an employer), I'm finding it hard to get past HR, I originally assumed having a CCNP on my resumé with some legit Python skills and scripts would've been a fast track.   So now my plan is to write several more useful scripts, because so far I created 3 programs, when I looked back ... none actually involved network automation.   

I'm keeping your advice in mind.

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

Bump!

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

okay,  so between the 2 scripts I mentioned above,   any 1 have thoughts which one I should write, in hopefully improving my chances?

Hmm okay, I'm going to keep this in mind as well,  a lot of people pointing to this.

I think i might just push through with the automation scripts and point that aspect out in my resumé, referring to the scripts saving time

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

Actually I also had another question.

Could someone point out the costs associated with running an MSP.

30% labor, 30% material, 30% software?

I'm trying to see where I can fill in some of the gap through code.

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

well according to chatGPT:

what are the costs to run and operate a msp

ChatGPT

The costs to run and operate a Managed Service Provider (MSP) can vary significantly based on factors such as the size of the MSP, the range of services offered, the geographic location, and the level of technology infrastructure required. Here are some common costs associated with running an MSP:

1. Labor Costs: The largest portion of MSP expenses typically goes towards salaries and benefits for employees. This includes technicians, support staff, sales and marketing personnel, and management. Skilled IT professionals can be expensive, so labor costs can be substantial.

2. Technology Infrastructure: MSPs rely on various hardware and software tools to manage and monitor clients' IT systems. This includes servers, network equipment, monitoring software, and remote management tools. The cost of acquiring and maintaining this technology can be significant.

3. Software Licensing: MSPs often use specialized software tools for remote monitoring and management, security, backup, and other services. These software licenses can be an ongoing expense.

4. Training and Certification: Keeping staff trained and certified in the latest technologies and best practices is crucial. This can involve expenses for training courses, certification exams, and materials.

This tells me I'm on the right track in creating a bunch of time saving scripts/programs