Views
Helpful
Replies

DNAC Bulk device import comma escape

Kenny69
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to bulk import devices from a csv file with site name that contains a comma.

I have tried to enclose the site name in both single and double quotes, but dnac still complains, and splits the site name into site and RF-Profile. What is the right way to tell DNAC that this comma is part of the site name

5 Replies 5

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

@Kenny69 have you tried putting all the fields in double quotes? Or by escaping the comma with a single backslash. 

Hi,

Yes i tried both. 

"<serial_nr>","<ap_model>","<ap_name>","<site_name_part1>,<site_name_part2>","<rf_profile>","","","","",

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

In DNAC I added an Area and a Building, both containing a comma in the name, and when I export those in DNAC, the resulting CSV encapsulates only those two names in double quotes. Which is the common way this is handled. So far so good.

I tested with Inventory device passwords containing commas, and the export wraps them in double quotes as well. Also good.

What version of DNAC/Catalyst Center are you using?  I checked in DNAC 2.3.5.5

In the Provision > Inventory menu, I select Actions, Inventory > Import Inventory - but the import devices template does not make provision for Site Name.

Oh! You are trying to import APs? It wasn't clear from the original question, and went down the wrong rabbit hole. The clue was in the word "RF Profile" - LOL.

Sorry, I can't find the option in DNAC to perform bulk AP imports. Where does this happen?

I thought this was done automatically when you added the WLC to DNAC.

Hi Arne,

Sorry if i was being unclear in my original question

So, yes the goal is to bulk import or preprovision a large number of access-points to a specific site by uploading a csv containing all the details 

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

I see what you mean now. Under Provision > Network Devices > Plug and Play

The import doesn't throw any errors - but it certainly doesn't like commas in the CSV, even though commas seem to be valid/accepted when you create a site/building in the GUI.   I'd open a TAC case.