cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs - Thoughts?

zoidmonro
Level 1
Level 1

I’m a bit stuck on what to do at the moment. You see, I’m currently learning the basics of VLANs.

But here’s where I get stuck.. As soon as I assigned a VLAN to a port that has an AP attached to it, I lose my internet connection all together. What’s up with that? Shouldn’t I still be connected to the internet and be able to configure the AP to my liking?

I’m not using packet tracer when conducting these experiments, I’m using physical equipment to learn.

I’m connected to the switch via console. Since my internet connection drops all together, I have to re-assign the port back to VLAN 1 which is the default port.

What am I missing here? Keep in mind, I’m still learning this technology and grasping these concepts so perhaps the answer is right in my face. But I don’t know, I don’t see it. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you. I apologize in advance if the wording here is confusing.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you're using multiple VLANs, you need L3 routing to communicate between them.  Otherwise, traffic on one VLAN cannot communicate with other VLANs.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

APs usually are connecting to switch via trunk; Your AP may be hardcoded for trunk link.  when you assigned a vlan to a port, that port became access port, not trunk. Switch also could prefer trunk over access ports but usually switches will auto detect port mode (negotiate), Vlan1 is special vlan in 802.1Q standard and let you configure another device if both support vlan1.

What brand of AP ? I guess u have Cisco switch.  Use show interface xyz switchport before and after your change; notice operational mode before and after

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **