Views
Helpful
Replies

HyperFlex Edge Cluster questions

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi, 

I am trying to refresh my knowledge of the HX Edge cluster, like sizing and scalability etc. But here are some of my confusion that hope get some insights here.

1. I was not aware of "DC-no-FI" cluster until I read the link below. But it does not seem like the DC-no-FI cluster the same as edge cluster? If so, what would be the difference?

https://www.intersight.com/help/saas/resources/expand_cisco_hyperflex_clusters_in_intersight#prerequisites_when_creating_a_mixed_m4/m5_cluster

2. Document shows HX Edge cluster supports up to 4-node. But can compute-only nodes work with HX Edge cluster? If so, what is truely the max number of nodes in a HX Edge cluster with 10/25Gbps connectivity?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @m1xed0s ,

1. I was not aware of "DC-no-FI" cluster until I read the link below. But it does not seem like the DC-no-FI cluster the same as edge cluster?

Correct. "the DC-no-FI cluster IS the same as edge cluster". Documentation is scarce, but this tell you a little and this is the ordering guide 

If so, what would be the difference?

I'd need to check - but I think the larger (4-8 nodes) requires a higher licence

2. Document shows HX Edge cluster supports up to 4-node. But can compute-only nodes work with HX Edge cluster?

NO

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @m1xed0s ,

1. I was not aware of "DC-no-FI" cluster until I read the link below. But it does not seem like the DC-no-FI cluster the same as edge cluster?

Correct. "the DC-no-FI cluster IS the same as edge cluster". Documentation is scarce, but this tell you a little and this is the ordering guide 

If so, what would be the difference?

I'd need to check - but I think the larger (4-8 nodes) requires a higher licence

2. Document shows HX Edge cluster supports up to 4-node. But can compute-only nodes work with HX Edge cluster?

NO

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Thanks for the info. But if "DC-no-FI" cluster is the same as Edge cluster, why they even introduced the term...

@m1xed0s wrote:

Thanks for the info. But if "DC-no-FI" cluster is the same as Edge cluster, why they even introduced the term...

LOL. I'm sure you know the answer = "Different Market", but the thing I find amazing is that they couldn't find a decent term to describe it.  For a while it was referred to as "BYO Switch" (Bring You Own Switch) - but clearly that didn't go to press.

But "DC-no-FI" ? - what a mouthful!

Yeah…I vaguely remember someone from Cisco mentioned “Bring You Own Switch”…

Venkatesh poreddy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Expansion of an existing Cisco HyperFlex Edge cluster beyond 4 nodes converts the cluster to Cisco HyperFlex DC-No-FI.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/hyperconverged-infrastructure/hyperflex-hx-series/hyperflex-dc-no-fabric-interconnect-solution.html