Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

attempting to register new installation crashes CML2controller service

I'm trying to set up a new CML2 personal instance. I think I'm close, but I can't get the license to register. When I paste the 'registration token' I copied off my 'learning network store' it immediately stops the 'CML2controller' service, and the lab manager web page shows 'server disconnected'.

I confirmed I have connectivity to the licensing server:

[sysadmin@cml-controller ~]$ curl https://tools.cisco.com/its/service/oddce/services/DDCEService
<h1>DDCEService</h1>
<p>Hi there, this is an AXIS service!</p>
<i>Perhaps there will be a form for invoking the service here...</i>

I'm not sure if it means anything, but I see this in the service logs when the 'CML2controller' starts:

WARNING linux_core_driver:93:Unable to add node definition server

I have the 'refplat_xxx' iso file attached to the ESXi CML guest.

Also, while it appears to check for, find and download updates, it fails to install any, giving a pretty vague error:

Error -1 running transaction

Restarting the controller doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

So, the actual service that's failing is 'virl2-controller.service'. It gives some error messages, but apparently they can't be posted here - either as text or as an image, or I'm just too stupid to figure it out. I'm going to go try my hand at EVE-NG while I'm waiting for a helpful reply.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

well, it could be something or some setting on ESXi.  you can try CML on Windows.  if you did not register your CML, You may try fresh with new install;if you registered your CML, you must de-register before moving to new install or new host.

in either case, make sure CML does not do updates;  most of issues I think are due to updates.  CML 2.0 is full of bugs and does not work well. I would wait for 2.1 which may come soon in Sept.  Until then, go with Eve-ng.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Having run out of better ideas I wiped my original install and tried again from scratch, and did have slightly better results - I was able to successfully register it, and it's running, although it still fails to install updates, which apparently isn't a bad thing?

As far as I can tell there are two significant differences from my first attempt - this time the server had access to the Internet during the installation, when my original install was done with my workstation online but the ESXi server was isolated. Obviously I had it online by the time I was trying to license and update it. Second, I didn't attempt to make any changes to the default install, where last time I had dialed up the storage to 150m and memory to 64g. 

I'll continue to tinker with it, as I don't think the default sizing will work well for what I'm trying to do, although it sounds like we are really close to v2.1, so I may end up just getting familiar with what I've get and then wiping it again when that comes out. 

Thanks for the reply.

ch

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Yes, defiantly CML 2.1 version looks better; will work better?  ...... we will see (but not as good as eve)

see preview updated  CML 2.1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26TKTc_5vEc