cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Modeling Labs Simulation Stuck in Build

fni-ccook
Level 1
Level 1

I have setup a demo of CML 1.0.1 and I am running into some issues.  The server install went okay and I am able to connect using the client.  I have built a topology with no problems.  When I start the simulation, the nodes start and change from status of UNDEPLOYED to BUILD.  I have let them sit for several hours with no change.  Is there a way to troubleshoot this type of issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

When I see this issue it has been related to not enough memory. Each router requires a certain amount of memory to start/run and if there is not enough memory the simulation stops in the build state.

There was another recent example of the someone thinking they had enough memory based on the calculations but then starting the simulation more than once, or someone else using the server and taking the memory from them.

You can see this information in the User Workspace Management console.

Attached is an Excel spreadsheet which calculates the amount of memory required to run a defined number of nodes.

If you have this problem can you tell me:

1. What is the assigned memory to the CML server?

2. How many nodes and what types are running?

3. How many other simulations are running?

4. Does the simulation work with less nodes? That is, is nothing starting (not even one node) or is a high number of nodes not starting?

If you have a problem where only one node is assigned and it is stuck in the build state, then this is a TAC case.

Hope this helps!

Craig

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Craig Brown
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Please contact me directly and we can address the issue - craibrow@cisco.com.

Will do, thanks.

Hi,

Craig I have the same problem. Meybe You have some fix for that. I have CML installed on ESX 5.1.0-2323236 (UCS C460M2). I trying I thing everything and i have still BUILD status after start simulations.

Can You help with that.

dekea
Level 1
Level 1

Was there an easy fix for this?  I am running in to the same issue and would love to be able to work on this over the holiday if possible.  Thanks!

bfullenkamp
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know the fix for this.  I'm running into the issue as well.  

We are looking into the possibility of what we can do to provide something that would help with this issue.  We'll be back soon with some more info.

Thanks!

DavidM

Community Manager

When I see this issue it has been related to not enough memory. Each router requires a certain amount of memory to start/run and if there is not enough memory the simulation stops in the build state.

There was another recent example of the someone thinking they had enough memory based on the calculations but then starting the simulation more than once, or someone else using the server and taking the memory from them.

You can see this information in the User Workspace Management console.

Attached is an Excel spreadsheet which calculates the amount of memory required to run a defined number of nodes.

If you have this problem can you tell me:

1. What is the assigned memory to the CML server?

2. How many nodes and what types are running?

3. How many other simulations are running?

4. Does the simulation work with less nodes? That is, is nothing starting (not even one node) or is a high number of nodes not starting?

If you have a problem where only one node is assigned and it is stuck in the build state, then this is a TAC case.

Hope this helps!

Craig

Sounds like I'm going for a TAC case.  I've just setup the server and client using the guest user on the server.  The server has 12,910 MB of RAM with one one node and one simulation running.

glickstue
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running into the same issue.  The sample 2-node .virl file will not load.  It gets stuck in build as described above.  I'm running a bare metal install on a Dell R620.

glickstue,

Check out the response from Craig a little lower on some step by step things to walk through.  According to those instructions you may need to open up a TAC case for this once you have worked through Craig's steps.

Thanks,

DavidM

Community Manager

Thanks we already walked through these steps. I guess I'm off to TAC.

Is yours a new install for an OVA file? Just curious if we match in this issue.  I've opened a TAC case and provide a bunch of info.  Hope they find something quick.

bfullenkamp
Level 1
Level 1

Moved the VM from an AMD based host to an Intel based and all nodes are complete to the active state.  TAC confirmed AMD is not supported.

brett-davidson
Level 1
Level 1

I had this same issue after installing tftpd64 on the machine that was running the vm. 

After i uninstalled tftpd all the nodes in virl worked properly.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: