cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CML Personal - vWLC

maxnpj
Level 1
Level 1

This is driving me crazy. I have set up the CAT9800 WLC with no problem. I know how to access that device and what to do there....it's the "vWLC" that I'm struggling with....I've read several posts that state it can't be done..the "vWLC" cannot be set up in CML, but then I would ask...why is it available in the Github repository? Assuming that its presence in Cisco's Github means it *can* be used I was able to create a Node def and an Image def for the vWLC. I used the "MFG_CTVM_8_10_185_0.iso" as the image. I got that from the 5520 WLC images page. Maybe that's the wrong image, but I can get the node to start in CML with that image but after that, I can't get to the device. When I click the "console" tab I just see a short line of zeros and it won't take any input; when I click "edit Config" I see the message "Nodes of type vWLC cannot be configured" and the "edit config' tab is greyed out; when I select the VNC tab I see the message "VNC not supported in vWLC nodes". It's like the vWLC is running but I just can't figure out how to get to it to config it and use it in the lab.

The goal here is to test a mobility tunnel config between a v9800 and a 5520; and not just the mobility tunnel itself but some other pieces that we would need for the mobility tunnel to be useful in my situation.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2 Replies 2

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

It may be helpful to determine if the issue you are seeing (no console access/prompt) is with the vWLC image you are using, or is it specifically with using that image in CML? By that I mean can you successfully start up and access the vWLC image in another hypervisor like VMware, Hyper-V, or VirtualBox? If not, then maybe the issue is not with CML, but with the image itself. If you can successfully start it up in a different HV, then the troubleshooting focus could be on the difference between that HV and CML's kvm environment.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

Thanks for the suggestion....I'm not sure I have the right image for the vWLC, so I will try what you suggest.