Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual Machine

Khadkay
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I do not know if this is the right platform to post this, forgive me if it isnt.

I keep getting this message while trying to start a VM in VirtualBox.

"This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.

This processor is unsupported in CentOS 7."

Host computer Windows 7, 2gb RAM.

Assitance please.

7 Replies 7

Martin L
VIP
VIP

You must use Free VM Player or VM workstation Pro, or Fusion Pro if you use MAC PC.

virtual box is not supported for CML.

see https://developer.cisco.com/docs/modeling-labs/#!system-requirements

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

I am using a windows PC, and downloaded the VirtualBox and Virtual Machine via the link provided in my course.

Sorry, just noticed that Error says you do not have 64-bit CPU, do you ? What is version of Win 7, 32-bit or 64-bit?  Most of emulators need 64 bit version of PC.  If you use "custom build" VM, what is based on?

Is this for CML-P Virtual Machine?  If yes, you do not have min required spec to run CML. 

Try GNS3 portable or stand-alone version, (not GNS3 VM one). You can use GNS3 to do some routing labs.

To run any Virtual Machine, you must have "virtualization" settings enabled in your PC BIOS.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

I am using a Windows 7 with 32bit processor.
The virtual machine I am trying to run was downloaded from the link in 2.1.3.6 Lab - Setting Up a Virtualization Server Environment, in IoT.
I have also tried to enable virtualization setting through my BIOS setting, but the option wasn't even available to me.

I found "Lab – Setting Up a Virtualized Server Environment" by Cisco Network academy. You can try using Free VMware Player (vmware.com) to see if you get the same error. But, if they set up virtual machine CentOS 7 to be 64-bit operating system, not sure if you can open it using 32-bit PC.

if this lab purpose is to learn Python, you do no need 64-bit OS; you can find CentOS 32-bit version. then, create your own VM with CnetOS 7 32-bit machine using Virtual Box.

Or

you can find Linux 32-bit version of Live CD - OS that runs from CD without installing on PC at all- to practice python. 

Note: x86_64 means 64-bit; while i386 is 32-bit
http://isoredirect.centos.org/altarch/7/isos/i386/

Thank you.