Views
Helpful
Replies

Application Performance Degradation with Cisco SD-WAN

zee5modapks
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco community,

I've recently deployed Cisco SD-WAN in our organization to optimize our wide area network performance. While overall the SD-WAN solution has improved connectivity and reduced latency for most applications, we've noticed that a specific critical application seems to be experiencing performance degradation intermittently. Users have reported slow response times and occasional timeouts when using this application.

We've configured application-aware policies and QoS settings to prioritize this application's traffic, but the issue persists. Our network topology includes multiple branch offices connected to a central hub via different types of links, and the application servers are hosted in the data center.

Has anyone else encountered a similar situation? Are there any specific troubleshooting steps or configurations we should consider to pinpoint and resolve this performance issue for this particular application? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2 Replies 2

satveluc
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

From the Post I understand that Even After configuring Application aware routing policy Users are facing timeouts and slow response when they are accessing some critical Application which is Hosted on the Data Center. I would suggest you check below parameter and let me know. 

1. Have you configured the SLA Parameters (Latency , Loss and Jitter ) value as recommended value for the critical Applications to work seamlessly?

2. Have you validated if the required latency ,Loss and Jitter for those Applications are met by the ipsec tunnels established between Branch and DC?
3. Have you Configured Preferred Colour / Back up preferred Colour / Fall back to best Path on AAR policy for those Applications? 
4. Have you enabled Alert for SLA Violation and noticed if Ipsec tunnels have violated the SLA anytime? 
5. Do you have the vAnalytics instance to understand the circuit performance and vQOE Score for those Applications to understand the behaviour ? 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/policies/ios-xe-17/policies-book-xe/application-aware-routing.html 

Thanks,
Sathish

jasonroy1565
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Cisco SD-WAN deployment and the performance degradation of a critical application. To address this issue, I suggest analyzing the application traffic to identify any patterns or anomalies that may be causing the intermittent performance issues. Additionally, consider reviewing the QoS settings and application-aware policies to ensure they are properly configured to prioritize the application's traffic. It may also be beneficial to assess the network topology and the links connecting the branch offices to the central hub, as well as the data center hosting the application servers. By thoroughly investigating these areas and making necessary adjustments, you can work towards resolving the performance issue and ensuring optimal connectivity for your critical application.