cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Interface to Existing Port Channel

sanchez3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys. One of the links in our port channel between core and access switch has dropped (looks like a layer 1 issue). I want to setup an additional pair of ports between the 2 switches as a replacement but the switch is halfway across the world. Can I do this without causing an outage?

3 Replies 3

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @sanchez3 

Setting up an additional pair of ports in a port channel (EtherChannel) between core and access switches can be done without causing a network outage if configured properly.

Configure the additional pair of ports on both switches with the necessary settings for the port channel, such as VLANs, trunking, and channel-group configuration.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

@sanchez3 yes, a new port channel can be added between the core switch and remote access switch without causing an outage by pre-configuring the new ports and port channel interface on both switches while leaving the ports admin down initially. Then, once the port channel interfaces are set up, the core switch side can have its channel mode set to active to initiate negotiation while the remote access switch is left in passive mode. This allows the core switch to form the port channel over the pre-configured ports when they are brought admin up.

Your traffic will then begin using the new redundancy pathway. As long as the original problematic port channel member is removed only after connectivity has been established over the new port channel, traffic should seamlessly fail over with no disruption to connectivity or outage. This process adds redundancy in advance rather than waiting for an outage, preventing network downtime. The switches on both sides coordinate the establishment of the new port channel while leaving the existing connectivity up throughout, avoiding any outage (yay)

Hope this helps.

Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io

First config both port in both side 

Then connect cable

If you connect cable you will have l3 loop until new port add to PO

Or the STP but PO or port in errdisable.

So make config of port the  connect cable 

MHM