Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C8500 factory-reset

The guide for the 8500 states the factory-reset all command takes backup of existing configuration, and then resets the router to an earlier, fully functional state.

My first question is why do they call it a factory reset if the running configuration is backed up and not getting delete? The command name is very misleading. I guess we would need to manually back up the image and then format/erase bootflash, nvram and other devices and then copy the image back to do a real factory reset. It looks like version 17.6 will backup the image and then erase everything if I am not mistaken, however, how do you backup an image for versions below 17.6?

4 Replies 4

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @00u1ab28axbOOzhqE5d7,

The terminology and behavior of a "factory reset" command can indeed vary among different devices and software versions. It's not uncommon for the term to be used loosely to describe a process that resets the device's configuration to default settings while preserving certain critical files or images. In many cases, the main objective of a factory reset is to restore the device's configuration to a known working state, rather than a true "factory-fresh" condition.

The naming of commands like "factory-reset all" can sometimes be misleading, as it doesn't necessarily result in a complete wipe of the device. It usually means resetting the configuration settings to defaults while preserving critical files and images.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is a bug.  

The command "factory-reset all" is meant to wipe out the entire contents flash.  

Very similar to CSCvw50512 or CSCwe82023.

The harddisk: bug that you referenced is an an optional m.2 for added storage that does does not get formatted on certain models. The bootflash: which would be where the running image is stored normally does gets an actual factory reset only when the secure 3-pass is added at the end of the command. Factory-reset all command is not suppose to wipe out all the contents of the flash because it takes a backup of existing configuration.

On a side note, if someone were to save the running image to the harddisk: m.2 that was running in .pkg mode instead of .bin mode, how would you save a backup image of to the bootflash e-usb? I tried just copying the .pkg files over and when it reboot it did not like that.  SD-Wan Edges had a request platform software package consolidate but the 8500 don't seem to have a way to put the genie back in the bottle.

@00u1ab28axbOOzhqE5d7 wrote:
how would you save a backup image of to the bootflash e-usb?

There is a backup but I do not know of a way to store a backup of the config in a different location automatically.  

On a switch, use the command "dir flash:nvram*" and the filenames are self-explanatory to distinguish one from the other.