cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot upgrade C1109

as18
Level 1
Level 1

Apologies if this appears twice, the forum eat my first post.

I'm trying to upgrade an 1109 ISR from 16.09 to 16.12 and I'm running into some issues:

1. Start state: IOS 16.09, ROMMON 16.8(1r).

2. Copied c1100-rommon-1612-SPA.pkg and c1100-universalk9_ias.16.12.04.SPA.bin and ran the rommon ugrade via the upgrade rom-monitor command.

3. Upgrade completes, reload router, router reloads requests ROMMON upgrade, changes to ROMMON image 'Upgrade In Progress' Boot ROM0 and starts to unpack IOS 16.12

4. After unpacking router declares:

Error: Package does not support PID:C1109-4PLTE2PWE

Failed to boot bootflash:c1100-universalk9_ias.16.12.04.SPA.bin

5. Router repeats this three times, then rolls back to original ROMMON 16.8, at this point I can interrupt, and using ROMMON, boot to IOS 16.09

I have repeated this by upgrading to ROMMON 16.9(1r) and running IOS 16.10, but still run into exactly the same issue when I try and boot with IOS 16.12, it's almost as if 16.12 detects an upgraded ROMMON image in ROM0 and tries to use it, which fails.

Does anyone have an idea whether the error message 'Error: Package does not support PID:C1109-4PLTE2PWE' refers to the ROMMON image, or the IOS image, and if so how I can resolve this? Can I remove the contents of ROM0 and start again?

Many thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Willdo. Many thanks for your support

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok, so currently the router boots fine with whatever version it is running, right? 

So try upgrading the ROMMON FIRST (and do a reboot) but do not change the IOS-XE version.  

Did the reboot update the ROMMON firmware?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@as18 wrote:

Error: Package does not support PID:C1109-4PLTE2PWE

What is the "exact" model of the router?  Post the complete output to the following commands: 

sh version
sh platform
sh inventory

I think the above error message is very specific:  You may have a C1109-4PLTE2PWE but 16.12.4 may not support this specific model and you may need to go with 17.2.X and luck it out.  

1. I removed all IOS versions apart from current running one 16.10.1b, run the upgrade rom-monitor command on c1100-rommon-1612-SPA.pkg, everything went fine, router reported rommon upgraded ok.

2. Rebooted, router attempted to load 16.10.1b with ne rommon, failed with the same 'Package does not support PID...' error message. Repeated three times, reached 'Maximum upgrade attempts exceeded' and continued with old rommon

3 Router booted to 16.10.1b fine running rommon 16.9(1r)

This would indicate to me that the IOS isn't the problem, it is the 16.12 rommon image, weirdly IOS 16.12 should run under rommon 16.9(1r), however every time I try it demands a rommon upgrade.

I am getting the outputs you requested exported, as the router is in a secure environment, when I get them I'll post them up, however the model C1109-4PLTE2PWE is detailed in the platform, inventory and version outputs: if you need any specific information from those commands please let me know.

Thanks

Disregard the minimum ROMMON requirement for now and try upgrading to 16.12.X.

After unpacking and validating 16.12 router reports 'Rommon upgrade requested', even though the rommon upgrade was not run this time.

Router then switches to '*Upgrade in progress* Boot ROM0', unpacks 16.12 again and the reports the unsupported package error.

It repeats three times, rolls back rommon to use 16.9(1r) ROM1, then starts the whole process again

as18
Level 1
Level 1

version, inventory and platform outputs, as requested

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Contact Cisco TAC.  This could may well be an RMA.

Willdo. Many thanks for your support

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: