cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst c1000 - 15.2.7E9 broke my network

chrismbrook
Level 1
Level 1

What a complete nightmare! I got an email notification that a new software package is available for my Catalyst C1000 8P-2G-L switches.

I have two identical switches stacked using fibre. After the upgrade the first switch continued to work as normal but the second switch has gone offline.

I've tried absolutely everything I can with switch 2 but no joy. I can console into it, everything boots normally but zero communication. I think the problem is something to do with the stack config......

Even if I delete the config.text and vlan.dat and reboot, the next reboot takes forever as it is waiting for the stack. Eventually, it times out and boots but no communication. 

I've tried doing the zero-day procedure, but nothing works. I'm not sure what the 15.2.7E9 software is but its completely destroyed my very stable network.

I've downgraded my switch 1 to the previous 15.2.7E8 build which has been rock stable since it came out. I am currently using XMODEM to transfer (very slowly) 15.2.7E8 to switch 2 in the hope that it comes back to life.

Maybe the software upgrade went bad for switch 2? Not sure. Its never done this before when upgrading the software. I think I've done 3 or 4 software upgrades in stack previously and all have worked without a hitch. Not sure why this one is different.

Think I'll leave the software alone in future. I've spent 5 hours trying to sort switch 2 out now - and finally gave up, resorting to XMODEM. 

Surely, if I delete the config.text from switch 2 and reboot it should boot with no config - but why does it keep looking for 'master election' and take forever to boot?

17 Replies 17

@meetriks wrote:
still no release notes online which is anoying

Due to internal politics it will take several months (up to 8 months) for the Release Notes to appear. 

The quest to "streamline" the cost means the "documentation team" was let go more than 10 years ago.  The current "documentation team" signs a purchase order for some copy-n-paste mob in West Asia to generate some form of "document".  Without any checks (by Cisco staff), this document gets uploaded to the interweb.

Also in the past, each document has a "Feedback" link for any comments, questions &/or suggestions.  Nowadays, nobody answers to the Feedback link.  

Thanks. Based on your feedback, I have also upgraded my C1000-8P-2G-L switches to E10 and can confirm my H-Stack now works correctly.

Mitchman
Level 1
Level 1

Yikes, this was a tough one, I could not get these to H-Stack in my lab no matter what, so I tried different SPFs & fiber links.  Gave up and revisited a few weeks later and E10 came out.  All sorted now but geesh!