Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS XR :: What is a Location?

petehummon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

My boss recently asked me to become the admin for a Cisco device running IOS XR 6.6.3, a version of code I’ve never worked with before.  Unfortunately, the device’s previous admin abruptly left the company, and there is no history or documentation on what he did.  The device itself is 500 miles away from me, so I can’t visually inspect it.

When I SSH to the device and look around, I’m noticing that a lot of the “show ____” commands refer to a “location.”  And location seems to have something to do with interfaces.  For example, here’s what I saw when I tried to look at the device’s MAC table:

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:DEVICEX#show l2vpn forwarding bridge-domain mac-address location ?
  0/0/CPU0    Fully qualified location specification
  0/RP0/CPU0  Fully qualified location specification
  WORD        Fully qualified location specification
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:DEVICEX#
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:DEVICEX#show l2vpn forwarding bridge-domain mac-address location 0/0/CPU0
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:DEVICEX#show l2vpn forwarding bridge-domain mac-address location 0/RP0/CPU0
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:DEVICEX#show l2vpn forwarding bridge-domain mac-address location 0/0/0

I first thought that my device was actually virtual device, running on some hypervisor platform.  So maybe my device accesses the host’s interfaces using “locations” as logical connections or something?  But when I do a “show ip int brief”, I see physical interfaces:

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:DEVICEX#show ip int brief

Interface                      IP-Address      Status          Protocol Vrf-Name
Loopback0                      10.20.30.40     Up              Up       default
TenGigE0/0/0/0                 unassigned      Up              Up       default
TenGigE0/0/0/1                 unassigned      Up              Up       default
TenGigE0/0/0/2                 unassigned      Shutdown        Down     default
...etc...

Soooooooooooooo… what to make of this?  Google searches are not helping me pin down “location” because Google assumes I mean like a site location or a NOC location, not the “location” in IOS XR.  Can anyone offer any insight?  Thank you.

0 Replies 0