cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP in Cisco Packet Tracer

FaridFFFaridFF
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I know that a lot of topics about that have been posted and reposting similar things may cause some headaches, but I really need help. So, I was trying to set a DHCP server up for my network with one of my switches and I "kinda" succeded. So, the server works for laptops (which are in VLAN 10), but doesn't for PCs (which are in VLAN 11). Can you help me, what am I doing wrong? I've been researching for two days but couldn't find anything useful. Maybe it's just a small mistake which I can't see, so help is needed!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@FaridFFFaridFF 

To resolve the issue of a DHCP IP address conflict on your network, you need to exclude the IP address that is already in use by one of your VLANs (192.168.11.2) from the DHCP pool. This is done by configuring the DHCP server to exclude that specific address or range of addresses. Enter global configuration mode on your DHCP server, exclude the problematic address, and then define the DHCP pool with the appropriate network, default gateway, and DNS server settings. Below is the complete configuration to apply:

configure terminal
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.11.2
ip dhcp pool VLAN11_POOL
network 192.168.11.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.11.1
dns-server 8.8.8.8
end

--After that configuration changes, clear all IP add on PC/l'autopsie (ipconfig /release and ipconfig / renew).

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello @FaridFFFaridFF 

Laptops have got IP address by DHCP because there are directl connected to the Switch where the DHCP server is hosted.

For a better design, configure DHCP server on MultiLayer Switch0, acting as L3 equipement.

M02rt37_0-1718533545308.png

All devices should have an IP address by DHCP.

Best regards

Hate to bother ya, buddy, it 95% worked, but I want it to work 100%. So, all my PCs and Laptops got different IP addresses from DHCP server, except one (PC1, I highlighted it in new Packet Tracer file of mine). So, it says that the DHCP IP that my server wanted to give to that PC was already used in one of my VLANs (192.168.11.2, which is the IP of one of my VLANs). So, how can I add some range-ish thing to configure DHCP server? I've heard of "excluded-address" thing, but that didn't work. Can you help me again, please?
Here, the same link 

@FaridFFFaridFF 

To resolve the issue of a DHCP IP address conflict on your network, you need to exclude the IP address that is already in use by one of your VLANs (192.168.11.2) from the DHCP pool. This is done by configuring the DHCP server to exclude that specific address or range of addresses. Enter global configuration mode on your DHCP server, exclude the problematic address, and then define the DHCP pool with the appropriate network, default gateway, and DNS server settings. Below is the complete configuration to apply:

configure terminal
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.11.2
ip dhcp pool VLAN11_POOL
network 192.168.11.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.11.1
dns-server 8.8.8.8
end

--After that configuration changes, clear all IP add on PC/l'autopsie (ipconfig /release and ipconfig / renew).

Best regards

Thanks a lot! It worked!

You're so welcome @FaridFFFaridFF 

Best regards