cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EEM applet to send interface description

xayxa30
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a simple way to send the interface description with the syslog message.

I tried this action but it doesn't know var _INTF. It is a C3850- IOS-XE with EEM v 1.0

regexp %LINK-3-UPDOWN.*" "_syslog_msg" match _INTF _STATE

cli command "show interface $_INTF | include ^ Description"

This is working as it is:

event manager applet DOWN-TEST
  event syslog pattern "%LINK-3-UPDOWN.* changed state to down"
      action 1.0 info type routername
      action 2.0 mail server "$_mail_server" to "$_email_to" from "_email_from" subject "Link Alert from $_info_routername" body "$_syslog_msg"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The expression did not quite work. The expression in brackets [0-9] means 1 digit.

I was able to generate description information for G1/0/9, but not G1/0/10-24 as the last numbers are two digits.

Writing it like "GigabitEthernet([0-9]/[0-9]/[0-9][0-9])" will generate two digits at the end, but then 1 digit numbers will not be process ( ie G1/0/5).

The only syntax that will work for all interface scenarios ( and simpler) is "GigabitEthernet([0-9/]+)"

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

xayxa30
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry it is EEM version 4.0

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is the inforamtion you can use to store the cli output and call the input while sending email 

example  :

action 1.5 cli command "sh interface status | in disabled" 
action 2.0 mail server "$_email_server" to "$_email_to" from "$_email_from" subject "$_event_pub_time: Disabled Interfaces" body "Disabled interfaces :\n$_cli_result"

here is reference :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/eem-built-in-quot-action-quot-variables/ta-p/3123406

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I was able to get this running but is there a variable syntax to just get the description of the effected interface ?

Thanks for your help.

I was able to get the below commands sort of working but the regexp needs work.

I tried different combinations but I can't seem to get the last interface ( ie G1/0/x ) to properly set. The one below  only works for port g1/0/9.

Tried regexp "GigabitEthernet([0-2]/[0-2]/[1-24])" but that didn't work either.

event manager applet DOWN-TEST
  event syslog pattern "%LINK-3-UPDOWN.* changed state to down"
    action 1.0 info type routername
    action 2.0 regexp "GigabitEthernet([0-2]/[0-9]/[0-9])" "$syslog_msg" ifname
    action 3.0 cli command "enable"
    action 4.0 cli command "show interface $ifname | inc Description"
    action 5.0 mail server "$_mail_server" to "$_email_to" from "_email_from" subject "Link Alert from $_info_routername" body "$_syslog_msg$cli_result"

Guess I didn't know what [0-9] meant. had to consult reg exp web page

It means digit, so regexp "GigabitEthernet([0-9/]/[0-9]/[0-9])" works

glad at work, is it means 0-9 interface-number start with and end with.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The expression did not quite work. The expression in brackets [0-9] means 1 digit.

I was able to generate description information for G1/0/9, but not G1/0/10-24 as the last numbers are two digits.

Writing it like "GigabitEthernet([0-9]/[0-9]/[0-9][0-9])" will generate two digits at the end, but then 1 digit numbers will not be process ( ie G1/0/5).

The only syntax that will work for all interface scenarios ( and simpler) is "GigabitEthernet([0-9/]+)"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: