cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to safely eject USB flash drive on 3850

rshum
Level 1
Level 1

I use images loaded in a USB flash drive that I upload into a switch just because it's faster than using tftp\ftp in some of the offices I go to. I usually just pull the flash drive out when I'm done. Once in awhile this corrupts the USB stick. Is there a command to gracefully eject the USB device?

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It is not suppose to corrupt (and I've used USB many, many times).
Either the USB stick was not formatted correctly (I doubt it) or it is on the way out.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Just pulling the flash drive out should not corrupt it; try using different flash now

shouldn't...but does.

I've had it happen on old flash drives as well as brand new ones. after pulling it out of one switch and put it into another switch it's common to see usb descriptor errors. I plug it into my laptop, it sees errors and fixes them..and then I'm good for maybe another couple switches.

looks like we needed a command we like what bjhinkle9 posted below:

hw-module switch 1 usbflash1 unmount

however, this unmounts the usb ssd drive (atleast for a 9348 which is pretty much the same switch)

bjhinkle9
Level 1
Level 1

hw-module switch 1 usbflash1 unmount

appears this unmounts the usb ssd drive, not the usbflash0:

Sergey Danilin
Level 1
Level 1

Try this command.

I tried it at Cisco IOS Software, C3750E Software (C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(4)E1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

test usb port 0 off

You will take a message: %USBFLASH-5-CHANGE: usbflash0 has been removed!

This works for me 100% tested and ejected the usbflash0 pen drive where I backed up my router config.

Thanks