cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IE3400 unable to enable guestshell on amsterdam.

OmkarBhalekar
Level 1
Level 1

When trying to enable the guestshell on IE3400 17.03.01 code by following the steps: I am facing the following error :

Switch#configure terminal

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

Switch(config)#iox
Switch(config)#ip http server

Switch(config)#end

The IOx service can take serval minutes to start, validate that all services are up and running before continuing.

Switch#show iox

IOx Infrastructure Summary:

---------------------------

IOx service (CAF)    : Running

IOx service (HA)     : Running

IOx service (IOxman) : Running

Libvirtd             : Running

Start the Guest-Shell

Once the IOx service is running the Guest-Shell can be generated and started.  This process can also take a couple of minutes.

Switch#guestshell enable

% Error: The application: guestshell, does not exist

Has anyone run into similar issues

6 Replies 6

Ivan Gauna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Any update? i have the same issue

Thanks

hhz
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem here. Problem forwarded to our account contact from cisco.

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I ran into this issue today (% Error: The application: guestshell, does not exist)  on a C1100 running 17.3.3.  

The issue for me, turned out to be that I didn't have enough flash space.  I see some evidence that some bug fixes will improve the error message17.6, but I haven't tested.  Once I cleared that issue, I got these errors when trying "guestshell enable"

Error: App Activation error: Platform does not have enough memory , available memory 256

Error: App Activation error: Platform does not have enough cpu resource, available cpu 800

I'm using a low end platform so these aren't too surprising.  I fixed them by ratcheting down the resources in my app-hosting profile:

app-hosting appid guestshell

app-resource profile custom

cpu 500

memory 256

This is a useful command for troubleshooting these issues:

router#show app-hosting resource 

CPU:

Quota: 33(Percentage) 

Available: 33(Percentage)

VCPU:

Count: 2

Memory:

Quota: 256(MB)

Available: 0(MB)

Storage space:

Total: 2774(MB)

Available: 440(MB)

Thank you for these instructions. This worked for me! I deleted few files from bootflash and it started working.

One more related issue I want to document here to hopefully make it easy on someone else.  When I upgraded to 17.6.1 (from 17.3.3) I was no longer able to enable my guestshell.  I got this error:

Router#guestshell enable

Interface will be selected if configured in app-hosting

Please wait for completion

% Error: Error while changing app state: Application package signature validation is enabled. Missing mandatory file /bootflash/iox/repo/guestshell/extract_archive/package.cert

My research says that application signing enforcement started in 17.4, but in order for the cert to get extracted properly, we have to do a "guestshell destroy" on the new version and then "guestshell enable".  Unfortunately the first command deletes everything related to the previous guestshell environemnt.  So if you had customized it, like installing any new programs, you'll have to rebuild it after the "guestshell enable"

Now mine seems to be working fine on 17.6.1.

OmkarBhalekar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

thanks for your inputs. I have upgraded to 17.5, I am assuming #guestshell ran once with the following warning, but 

IE3400-FNE-01#guestshell enable

Interface will be selected if configured in app-hosting

Please wait for completion

The process for the command is not responding or is otherwise unavailable

But went I try to go to the python sandbox, it still shows the error message:

Guestshell is disabled on the system click here to enable and upon clicking it prompts me for IP and subnet, but once I input that, nothing really changes