cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue copying from USB to flash memory on firepower asa firewall

elsa-mitchell
Level 1
Level 1

I have software that I am hoping to install on my firewall on a USB drive. The firewall currently runs in asa 9.14(1) and I am trying to copy files from my USB to the flash: memory. I typically use this command on my firewalls running in asa 9.16:

copy disk1:[filename] flash:

But when I try this command on the 9.14 firewalls, it says ERROR: % Invalid input detected at the text "disk1". I have seen in documentation that at one point disk1 and disk0 were switched, so I have tried this too:

copy disk0:[filename] disk1:

This command gets an error opening the file and says "No such file or directory". When I try this one:

copy disk0:[filename] flash:

I get error saying "destination path is identical".

Has anyone come across this issue before? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

2 Replies 2

grecha861
Level 1
Level 1

@elsa-mitchellSedgwick wrote:

I have software that I am hoping to install on my firewall on a USB drive. The firewall currently runs in asa 9.14(1) and I am trying to copy files from my USB to the flash: memory. I typically use this command on my firewalls running in asa 9.16:

copy disk1:[filename] flash:

But when I try this command on the 9.14 firewalls, it says ERROR: % Invalid input detected at the text "disk1". I have seen in documentation that at one point disk1 and disk0 were switched, so I have tried this too:

copy disk0:[filename] disk1:

This command gets an error opening the file and says "No such file or directory". When I try this one:

copy disk0:[filename] flash:

I get error saying "destination path is identical".

Has anyone come across this issue before? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Hello, @elsa-mitchellSedgwick 

You’re encountering some frustrating issues with copying files on your ASA 9.14(1) firewall. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve this:

1. Verify USB Mounting
Ensure that the USB drive is correctly mounted. You can check the available file systems using the show file systems command. This will list all the available file systems and their statuses.

2. Correct Command Syntax
For ASA 9.14(1), the correct syntax might differ slightly. Try using the following command to copy from the USB to flash memory:

copy usb0:/[filename] flash:/

If usb0 doesn’t work, try disk0 or disk1 based on what the show file systems command reveals.

3. Check File Path and Name
Ensure that the file path and name are correct. Sometimes, the issue might be due to incorrect file paths or names. Use the dir command to list the contents of the USB drive:

dir usb0:/

This will help you verify the exact file name and path.

4. Use Alternative Methods
If the direct copy command continues to fail, consider using alternative methods like TFTP, FTP, or SCP to transfer the files. Here’s an example using TFTP:

copy tftp://[server]/[path]/[filename] flash:/

I hope this info is helpful to you.

Best Regard,
Gregory Chavez

When I do show file system, it says the type of disk1 is "unknown". When I try to do a dir disk1: or show disk1: it says disk1: is invalid. Any idea why it won't pick up the disk? I have used this usb on numerous other firewalls so I know the usb and the firewall ports are not the issue.