cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Many current cisco OS images do not have VIRL images? Why not?

Hello.

Is it true that many current cisco OS images do not have VIRL image counterparts? If true, why does Cisco not provide all modern OS images in VIRL? 

The point is that it is obviously relevantly valuable to erect a reproduction of a production network in a sandbox virtual environment. Why would Cisco not produce ALL images in a VIRL format?

For example, I received the following response on the EVEng site (By the way I have valid licenses to download and use Cisco VIRL images.)..

"ASA 5525 as virtual image does not exist
one image was very long time ago, but interfaces on it was e0/0-e0/5
New virtual are ASAv only"

So this means I cannot cut/paste my production ASA config int a VIRL ASA appliance. For a company as wealthy and technologically leading as Cisco, this is definitely not an acceptable situation-- we need to be able erect virtual environments reasonably identically to their production origin.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

All images for the ASA 5525 can only be executed on actual 5525 hardware, or a software platform that provides near 100% emulation of the 5525's h/w. This will be true of all switch/router/firewall images that were not created specifically as virtual network functions. These images intended to run on actual h/w can include code that executes on embedded CPUs, NPUs, and FPGAs, while virtual network environments like CML (or GNS3) execute on h/w platforms that have only an x86 CPU to support the hosted VNFs.

To run the 5525 images on CML, Cisco would have to create a complete emulator of the 5525 h/w that executes on an x86 CPU and package it up with the 5525 image into a VM or container. In theory, this is possible, but in practice it is, well, impractical. There would be no ROI to Cisco in creating and maintaining commercial versions of h/w emulators for each of its hundreds (if not thousands) of switch/router/firewall h/w SKUs. Cisco does use emulators and simulators during the development process of ASICs, Platform Independent code features, and even complete routers, but there are not h/w emulators (written in s/w) for each and every product they produce. The emulators and simulators that do exist, going back 20+ years ago to IOU (IOS on Unix), are rarely exposed to the public as they are internal tools for dev engineers. One such h/w emulator that has been made available publicly is for the Cisco 8000 routers which, should be noted, requires substantial resources in the host system to run a single emulated router instance (32G RAM per instance recommended):

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/iosxr/cisco8000-emulator/cisco8000-hardware-emulator-datasheet.html

I need to emphasize that h/w emulators are the exception and not the norm, as Platform Independent code can be developed and tested using virtual platforms (IOL, XRv9K, CSR1Kv, Cat8Kv, ASAv, etc) while Platform Dependent features are typically developed and tested on the actual hardware itself, as h/w emulators do not exist for every Cisco product and the PD code must be tested on actual h/w before it is released.

So where does this leave you? CML allows you to model the control-plane and data-plane (to a limited extent) of your network through the use of virtual images that approximate the functionality of your actual network elements. If your network runs in the cloud on Cisco virtual images, CML can support those same virtual images. If your network is h/w-based, then the virtual images you run will represent trade-offs between the rapid-prototyping capability of a s/w lab and the lack of 100% fidelity between the virtual images and your actual h/w elements.

TL;DR: Where can you find specific images to run on CML? Well, you can't, if you are looking for images that were created to run on h/w. What you can find on Software Central are the latest virtual images that can approximate the control and data plane behaviors of your h/w platforms.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VIRL Gone Long back

Better Migrate to CML 2.6 for all the features you looking.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

As @balaji.bandi says, "ViRL" has been deprecated in favor of "CML".  ViRL and CML are the same thing, with ViRL (Virtual Routing Lab) being used internally at Cisco, while the commercial product was launched as CML (Cisco Modeling Lab), but always the same software. With the 2.0 launch, "CML" is now the preferred name internally as well. There have been many changes since ViRL/CML 1.x with CML 2.6 being the newest release. Gone is the OpenStack infrastructure, replaced by kvm/libvirt, along with the Maestro client, replaced by an HTML5 browser interface. If you are still on 1.x, I highly recommend moving to 2.6.

That said, If you have a Cisco Services contract in place that entitles you to download VNFs such as XRv9000, CSR1000v, Cat8000v, etc, you can upload the newest versions to CML as new image definitions. If you do not have such a contract, you will have to wait for newer images to be delivered via CML's refplat ISO releases, but these do lag behind the newest releases on cisco.com. You can check the versions on newest refplat against what you have now, to see if the refplat versions are newer.

glad to hear the story. what is the point here ?

i was suggesting OP that if looking new images  need to use CML latest version.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

- An inline upgrade of CML 2.x to 2.6 does not automatically upgrade the VNF images.

- The CML 2.6 refplat ISO (created 1-17-2023) does not contain the latest versions of Cisco VNFs, only the latest versions of VNFs tested by the CML team. Latest versions of the VNFs can be downloaded directly from Software Central, if you have a Services contract that entitles you to the downloads.

- You do not have to be on latest version of CML to use the latest versions of Cisco's VNFs, as uploading of user-provided images has been supported for some time. These user images can come from a newer refplat, from Software Central, or from third parties (may need new node definition).

A point I missed in the OP is what may be a misunderstanding of what CML provides: an NFVi (Network Function Virtualization infrastructure); that is, an environment for connecting and executing VM and container VNFs (Virtual Network Functions). CML is not a hardware emulator and cannot run images compiled to run on actual router/switch/firewall hardware (eg, ASA5525).

"you can upload the newest versions to CML as new image definitions. "...

Where /how do I find specific images? For example, where can I find the ASA 5525 version 9.14(4)23  ?

All images for the ASA 5525 can only be executed on actual 5525 hardware, or a software platform that provides near 100% emulation of the 5525's h/w. This will be true of all switch/router/firewall images that were not created specifically as virtual network functions. These images intended to run on actual h/w can include code that executes on embedded CPUs, NPUs, and FPGAs, while virtual network environments like CML (or GNS3) execute on h/w platforms that have only an x86 CPU to support the hosted VNFs.

To run the 5525 images on CML, Cisco would have to create a complete emulator of the 5525 h/w that executes on an x86 CPU and package it up with the 5525 image into a VM or container. In theory, this is possible, but in practice it is, well, impractical. There would be no ROI to Cisco in creating and maintaining commercial versions of h/w emulators for each of its hundreds (if not thousands) of switch/router/firewall h/w SKUs. Cisco does use emulators and simulators during the development process of ASICs, Platform Independent code features, and even complete routers, but there are not h/w emulators (written in s/w) for each and every product they produce. The emulators and simulators that do exist, going back 20+ years ago to IOU (IOS on Unix), are rarely exposed to the public as they are internal tools for dev engineers. One such h/w emulator that has been made available publicly is for the Cisco 8000 routers which, should be noted, requires substantial resources in the host system to run a single emulated router instance (32G RAM per instance recommended):

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/iosxr/cisco8000-emulator/cisco8000-hardware-emulator-datasheet.html

I need to emphasize that h/w emulators are the exception and not the norm, as Platform Independent code can be developed and tested using virtual platforms (IOL, XRv9K, CSR1Kv, Cat8Kv, ASAv, etc) while Platform Dependent features are typically developed and tested on the actual hardware itself, as h/w emulators do not exist for every Cisco product and the PD code must be tested on actual h/w before it is released.

So where does this leave you? CML allows you to model the control-plane and data-plane (to a limited extent) of your network through the use of virtual images that approximate the functionality of your actual network elements. If your network runs in the cloud on Cisco virtual images, CML can support those same virtual images. If your network is h/w-based, then the virtual images you run will represent trade-offs between the rapid-prototyping capability of a s/w lab and the lack of 100% fidelity between the virtual images and your actual h/w elements.

TL;DR: Where can you find specific images to run on CML? Well, you can't, if you are looking for images that were created to run on h/w. What you can find on Software Central are the latest virtual images that can approximate the control and data plane behaviors of your h/w platforms.

Hello RT.

A sincere than you for such a complete, satisfying response to my query!

Thank you sir!