cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Minimum Requirements For CML

Raymond Pajela
Level 1
Level 1

What type of minimum hardware requirements are required to use Cisco Modelling Labs from a laptop?  I plan on using it for CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure & Service Provider Lab Training & Simulations.  Should I get CML 20-node or 4-node?  Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Raymond Pajela
Level 1
Level 1

I meant 40-node

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the node requirement : so based on that allocated compute and RAM

https://developer.cisco.com/docs/modeling-labs/#!faq/reference-platform-and-images-questions

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Running  Cisco Modelling Labs from a laptop ... not a good idea! Even if you have gaming laptop like 8-core i7 Intel with 32GB Ram.  You will need at least a gaming PC or server box is better !

1st, you will not do much, not run many devices/images.  each image takes lots of RAM, you can see how much RAM you need per image from FAQ listed above.  Even with new CML 2.1 which has improved performance, I do not think you will be able to run 20 devices on "gaming" laptop.  I have tried CML 2.0 on my Intel 4-core 24GB Ram laptop, it was not good. 

I would recommend a server type of PC for CML. Also, you can use CML for free on DevNet Sandbox to see how it performs. Otherwise, use GNS3 for small routing labbing or Eve-ng for larger R&S labs;  Still....you need server box for anything else like SP or Data/security labs.

2nd, you may burn and damage your laptop in long run !  It is risky to run laptop at high CPU load for long time; I have used i5 laptop with Eve for my CCIE studies few years back but those labs did not required any special images like current CCIEs. 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Devnet Sandbox CML be used multiple times for free or just that one 4 hour trial?

Multiple times; there is no trial; 4 hr is max per reservation per person.  after that, you can reserve again for another 4 hr -  unless system is busy like when others try to use it CML or any other labs.  you can also schedule reservation in advanced.

not sure but there might be limit for how many reservation per day per person you can make.  last year, I made 2 CML reservations in a row on the same day without any issues.

Please make sure you "end reservation" when you are done using it and you have time left so others can use it.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **