Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer - Create a Simple Network **help** macOS 'stuck'

MickeyT9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I apologise if this is not the forum for my question... but I am trying to complete the Packet Tracer course, but I am unable to get past this section.

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 18.44.23.png

I have to enter the IP addresses etc into these fields, but I cannot work out 'how' to do that... when I double click in these fields I see 'blank' written there in white... but I can't enter any information. I know what IP addresses to put in there... but I can't enter the information.

I've been trying to get to the next stage of this exercise for weeks... but I'm about to give up.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or, what I'm not seeing here?... I can't work out a way to write in these boxes...

When I check my assessment:

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 19.00.56.png

I'm on macOS Catalina on a MacBook Pro, with Packet Tracer 8.1.1.0022

15 Replies 15

peshalSheep
Level 1
Level 1

Same issue. I have tried everything possible but nothing seems to work.

I made this post in June 2022... It's now October 2022... It's been 4 months and your reply is the 1st thing I've heard about the subject.... I have been completely 'locked out' of any further learning. It's difficult to believe, that Cisco do 'nothing' to address this. Very disappointing to not be able to get any support or help.

MickeyT9 and peshalSheep,

Which packet tracer course are you taking and what is the number/name of the packet tracer?

I believe that the reflection questions are not scored by packet tracer. I heard some students use PDF or Word to edit.

You need to configure the Laptop and PC with the associated IP addresses and subnet masks? When you successful do that, the red X's will change to green checkmarks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

I'm on a Mac Running osX 10.15.7 Catalina.

Packet Tracer 8.1.1

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 19.26.18.png

Exercise 2.1.1. 'Create a Simple Network'...

I can't fill in the information, even though I know what the answers are.

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 19.28.47.png

When I click on the field to write the IP address... I see 'blank' written there...

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 19.38.24.png

But I can't write anything in there... and I can't progress... obviously something I'm not seeing or understanding here?... Unless, there's a bug in the software?

So disappointing... I haven't been able to get past this... so much for my 'networking smarts' and solving problems... I thought coming to this forum 'might' open up some answers... but, 4 months... and up until now, I've heard 'nothing' from Cisco, even though I"ve submitted a ticket...

MickeyT9,

Don't worry about filling in the answer for the reflection question; it is not scored in packet tracer. The pka file will not let you edit it.

The first image in you post shows 4 items that had red X's and the image in you above post shows 0% completion. This is not caused by the reflection question being blank; this is because there are scored tasks that need to be completed. The Laptop and PC need to be configured with their associated IP information. Also complete any other required tasks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

@NetworkDave wrote:

Don't worry about filling in the answer for the reflection question;

I'm not worried about filling in this answer for any reason than progressing to the 'next' section. If I don't put something in these boxes I can't progress.

As for:

The first image in you post shows 4 items that had red X's and the image in you above post shows 0% completion.

I believe you are referring to this?

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 22.44.18.png

This area is BECAUSE I haven't filled in those fields is it not?

I have 'green' arrows everywhere on my network... and, the 'settings' for the devices have IP addresses. The laptop for example:

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 22.50.45.png

I think these are the addresses I need to put into that table?

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 19.38.24.png

It clearly says, "now that you have verified connectivity to cisco.srv"...

So, all my connections are 'right'... I just can't fill in these fields to 'complete' the section.. it's driving me nuts.

MickeyT9
Level 1
Level 1

So far as I can tell.... ALL of the required tasks have been completed... 'except' filling in the table. All of my connections are active. I can ping cisco.srv and I have all green arrows indicating active connections. I don't know how to get past this... it appears that filling in the table is the ONLY thing I cannot do?

MickeyT9,

Please send the Packet tracer file (PKA). There's a few ideas I'd like to try.

Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 08.11.41.png

Not allowed

I'll try zipping it...

Here is a zipped version.

MickeyT9

Great job in providing detailed and specific information on the problem; Especially the images and ZIP files.

You correctly completed most of the lab, but a step was missed (Change display names: Part I, Step 2a-c). The reason for 0% completion is because of the difference between the device name that Packet Tracer is looking for and the name of your devices.
Example: Packet Tracer is looking for an IP address on a specific device named PC. You configured the IP address on a device named PC0. Also, Packet Tracer is set to look for the wrong subnet Mask (255.255.0.0) on The PC.

Here's the solution:

Click on Laptop > Config tab > Global Settings > Display Name
Change to "Laptop" (without quotes). > Close

Click on PC > Config tab > Global Settings > Display Name
Change to "PC" (without quotes). > Close

Completion is now at 75%

The assessment still shows the Subnet Mask for the PC as incorrect (Red X).
The Subnet Mask (255.255.255.0) assigned by DHCP is correct. The assessment
is set to check for an incorrect subnet Mask of 255.255.0.0 on the PC.
To compensate for the assessment's error:
Click on PC > Desktop tab > IP Configuration > Static
IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server: 209.165.200.225
Close

Completion is now at 100%

No need to fill-out the table, you should now be able to continue on with the course

MickeyT9
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks!!! That is awesome... you're a genius...

I have completed the steps... weird thing is though... I 'still' can't move on...

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 19.34.29.png

I see "Completion 100%" in the corner there... but... when I hit the 'Next' button...... "nothing happens"....??

To be honest, it's been 4 months since I started this... so, I can't even remember what the 'next' step is.... Maybe the universe is telling me, "networking is NOT for you"....

I would have thought, because there is a 'Next' button... I should probably hit that... and move on?... I still can't 'move'...