cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer Shows 'Floating point exception (core dumped)' error on Linux Mint 19.2

ArijitNaha0067
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to install Packet Tracer 7.2.1. I am getting error "Floating point exception (core dumped)". I am using Linux Mint 19.2.

Installation shows successful but after that if I try to launch the PT, it shows the user login screen. Once I type the EMail address it closes automatically.

I really need the PT. Please help if you have faced same issue.

I have tried 7.2.2 and 7.3.0 and facing same issue. All version were installed for 64 bit.

3 Replies 3

I have also run into this. I ran dmesg and get this:

traps: PacketTracer7[24937] trap divide error ip:7fc5b3699ef4 sp:7fff056360b0 error:0 in libQt5XcbQpa.so.5[7fc5b35dd000+111000]

I tried reinstalling the qt5 libraries, no luck. I just wiped my Ubuntu 19.1 install because I couldn't get Packet Tracer to work on that, now Mint is doing this. I'm questioning if I've chosen the right field study.

A.T404
Level 1
Level 1

This is just sad....

I was about to prepare for my upcomming exams and this happened. The sad part is that this issue is going on for months now.

I have tried installing this on: Kali Linux, Ubuntu18.04, Manjaro Linux, KDE Neon and Pop-Os. Yes I have tried these on a VM before installing this on my physical machine. On/in a virtual environment there is no problem at all. However, when installing PT on the physical system there are so many issues.. Why is there so little support for this great application on a Linux environment?

To be noted, I did managed to get it to work on both Manjaro Linux and KDE Neon. Manjaro (if I a correct) has this package int their AUR store. On KDE Neon it worked (in my case) by downloading it from the netacad website and installing it like any other package in Linux.

For the community I hope this has any use in one way or another. As for the dev team of PT.... Please fix this or make support for this available and/or a whole lot easier. I have been trying to contact people from cisco for this issue allot and there has been no help at all. Just being sent from one place to the next...

Regards,

An IT student who realy likes and need(ed)s this application....

I have been facing these same issues for weeks. Out of frustration I just restarted my computer. It worked. Don't know what the problem was or how it was fixed but it works now. Go through the installation process again then restart your computer when you're done. No guarantees, but maybe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: