Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog setup in Cisco Catalyst switches

Kwkyawkyaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am trying to configure the Cisco Catalyst switch to connect Syslog server. The server side is asking for file extension format that will be used by switches to send logs to the Syslog server. Is there any extension like .log or .conf?

Thanks much

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most of the syslog store log file as .log files - so other system can read that files for co-relation or debug purpose.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB, Appreciate your response.

I am aware that it is stored as .log file. But is the switch also use “.log” file extension to send logs to Syslog server? Or is it plain message without any extension? Thanks.

Most of the Logs send by cisco device -  syslog format is compatible with 4.3 BSD UNIX.  ( so syslog can understand the logs and stored on log files)

there is no extention for the logs to send to syslog server.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I think they ask you about the parameters appear in syslog like timestamps.......

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Kwkyawkyaw,

Syslog messages are typically not associated with file extensions like .log or .conf. Syslog is a network protocol used for sending log messages and event notifications between network devices and a central syslog server. The log messages are sent over the network in plain text format without file extensions.

When configuring your Cisco Catalyst switch to send syslog messages to a syslog server, you do not specify a file extension for the messages. Instead, you define the syslog server's IP address or hostname and specify the severity level for which you want to send log messages. The syslog server will receive these messages and store them in its own log files, usually without any specific file extensions. The log messages received by the syslog server are often organized into log files based on their source and severity level. The syslog server software will typically handle the storage and management of log files, and the messages are stored in a format that the server software understands.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.