cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will adding LLDP support reboot PoE devices

kane808
Level 1
Level 1

I have some PoE devices that need LLDP to negotiate the correct PoE class. They are currently getting the standard 15W, when I enable LLDP and they can negotiate more power will the port stop providing 15W and start providing 30/60W (essentially rebooting the device) or will it just begin supplying 30/60W with no interruption.

3 Replies 3

Hi

Not clear. If your device need LLDP to negotiate power and you dont have LLDP how they are negociating power?

I will take in account the devices I usually work with which is Access Point and or Cameras. If you plug an Access Point to a port on the PoE switch and it does not get enough power, it will not work properly. Usually the AP disable 5.0Ghz radio and the cameras just dont bootup up.

But usually AP are able to use CDP also and not only LLDP. I dont believe this protocol will be used to negociate "more power" but how much power they can get  when connected.

Unless of course this device you have act differently. On this case you may need to test.

Can I know what sw platform you have.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, it should not reboot after enabling LLDP, however, depending on what the stack is on, LLDP and CDP may cause the stack to crash due to memory leak.