cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will not allow same password?

jrsims1958
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CCNA lab with 3 1921 running same software; "usbflash0:c1900-universalk9-mz.SPA.157-3.M2.bin" C1900 Software (C1900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.7(3)M2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) System Bootstrap, Version 15.0(1r)M16, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1).

I am trying to find out why 2 will allow the same passwords enable and secret, but the 3rd one will not allow.  Not sure where to look to see and understand what is different between what should be identical routers.

Your helps appreciated, thanks

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i would like to see what error message you get? 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

jrsims1958
Level 1
Level 1

*Nov 11 16:22:50.451: %PNP-6-PNP_DISCOVERY_STOPPED: PnP Discovery stopped (Config Wizard)conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)#ena pass cisco

Router(config)#ena secr cisco

The enable secret you have chosen is the same as your enable password.

This is not recommended.  Re-enter the enable secret.

keep both in security point not a good idea, hope you were working on some lab i guess

try secret first and password next, see if that works. (cisco tighten the security some new IOS onwards maybe works 12.X lower).

like the below order.

Router(config)#ena secr cisco   

Router(config)#ena pass cisco  

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

As you can see from the first post, all 3 routers are identical to each other IOS, version. hardware.  2 will allow it but one will not. Yes they are all in the same lab, running test labs and this beginning exercise was for a single router, but I do it to all for reinforcement.

As I understand the reason behind the warning, my question is; why does it happen on just 1 of the 3?  I would like to know where to look and compare the start or run configs to see the difference, as there must be one somewhere, no matter how subtle.  So there lies the answer I am seeking, if any one can help?   That would be great!