Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Richard Hills on 08-11-2009 11:10:17 PM
I have a client who wishes to use AMX to provide basic control of a C20 codec.  They do not wish to connect the AMX to the LAN and request that I use RS232.  The client has been told there is a 'Y' cable p/n 117727 which will allow camera and RS232 control from the single serial port.

Are there two serial ports on the DSUB?  Can I achieve bidirectional 232 control while having the camera connected?

Many thanks in advance
Richard Hills

Subject: RE: Serial control of C20
Replied by: Roger Boe on 09-11-2009 09:43:11 AM
The answer is yes. Once you have the Y-cable you have  fully working bi-directional RS-232 port and at the same time full control of the camera.

Replied by: Richard Hills on 09-11-2009 09:59:41 AM
Roger,

Thanks, I am a little puzzled.  The C20 Administrators guide shows only a single RX/TX pair on the DSUB.

Does the cable make use of the two non connected pins (4 & 5) as a second RX/TX pair?

Can you provide the pinout for the cable?

Richard Hills

Replied by: Roger Boe on 09-11-2009 12:59:04 PM
Hi Richard,

The RS-232 port uses pin 1,5 and 6. So if you are to make your own cable then you must map it like this

TANDBERG  to   Std. RS.232
Pin 1-------------------Pin2
Pin 5-------------------Pin5
Pin 6-------------------Pin3

The camera port comes in addition.

Cheers
Roger

Replied by: Richard Hills on 09-11-2009 02:15:13 PM
Many thanks

Replied by: adrian schneiuder on 07-03-2011 05:41:18 AM
did this work. i am having same fault

Replied by: David Bruun-Lie on 08-03-2011 02:51:39 PM
Adrian,
to be able to help you you must give us a bit more details. What exactly have you done and how and what is failing?

Cheers,
David

Replied by: Graeme Kay on 27-06-2011 04:47:17 PM
Hi David,

We are having a control system issue. We are using a Y Splitter RS232 cable splitting the camera and Crestron.

Its the new cisco branded camera with the C20, we have proven this by trying one of the original C20 cameras which has no issues.

Our fault is as follows:

Camera and Crestron connected by Y spliiter to RS232 port on C20 -
Using the Crestron Touch Panel to control the camera, there are no issues until, the Cisco remote control is used to adjust the camera or access codec menus then the Camera image goes black and no control over camera movement however still control over the C20 menu using both the remote and the control system touch panel.
Reboot fixes problem only to the stage that the remote isnt used.

Alternatively, using the LAN port for the crestron, the cameras buffer would appear to be locking up. Very intermittently however it still prevents us using this as an alternative for the crestron.

This happens on all variants of control systems and different firmware options.

Any help you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated.
GK

Replied by: null on 15-05-2012 10:09:31 PM
Interestingly, this thread has ended. Was this issue ever resolved over the phone because there is no documentation here to know. I am opening up a box that was supposed to be a C40 but it’s a C20. Can I just have my tech make a Y adapter? Do I just make sure I have the Crestron system’s TX, RX, and GND connected to both the camera and codec? Thanks, Brian

Any help you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated.
GK

Replied by: null on 15-05-2012 11:19:49 PM
Yes, this will work with the proper Y cable.

You can order CAB-C20-RS232-DBG=, which is the Cisco Y Cable made for the C20.

If you want to make up one yourself, I will look for the pinouts.  Please send me an email separately at econeder@cisco.com

Subject: RE: Serial control of SX20
Replied by: null on 21-05-2012 07:42:17 PM
Hello,

Our experience with C20 and self-made  Y-cable is ok, everything works as expected.

But what about SX20? As I can see from documentation, it has no standard serial port at all.
How can one control that?

Thanks!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links