cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is a container?

UncleJP
Level 1
Level 1

What is a container? I have researched this topic, and I have come across many definitions that I have found confusing. 

Looking at it from the point of view of a PC, isn't a container essentially just an application (Chrome, calculator, notepad, etc.)?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

he he he  I had same question last year.  look up Docker or dockers container. it is mini virtual machine; smaller in size, quicker.

https://www.docker.com/resources/what-container

Docker container image is a lightweight, standalone, executable package of software that includes everything needed to run an application: code, runtime, system tools, system libraries and settings.
Container images become containers at runtime and in the case of Docker containers - images become containers when they run on Docker Engine. Available for both Linux and Windows-based applications, containerized software will always run the same, regardless of the infrastructure. Containers isolate software from its environment and ensure that it works uniformly despite differences for instance between development and staging.
Docker containers that run on Docker Engine:
    Standard: Docker created the industry standard for containers, so they could be portable anywhere
    Lightweight: Containers share the machine’s OS system kernel and therefore do not require an OS per application, driving higher server efficiencies and reducing server and licensing costs
    Secure: Applications are safer in containers and Docker provides the strongest default isolation capabilities in the industry

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Martin L
VIP
VIP

he he he  I had same question last year.  look up Docker or dockers container. it is mini virtual machine; smaller in size, quicker.

https://www.docker.com/resources/what-container

Docker container image is a lightweight, standalone, executable package of software that includes everything needed to run an application: code, runtime, system tools, system libraries and settings.
Container images become containers at runtime and in the case of Docker containers - images become containers when they run on Docker Engine. Available for both Linux and Windows-based applications, containerized software will always run the same, regardless of the infrastructure. Containers isolate software from its environment and ensure that it works uniformly despite differences for instance between development and staging.
Docker containers that run on Docker Engine:
    Standard: Docker created the industry standard for containers, so they could be portable anywhere
    Lightweight: Containers share the machine’s OS system kernel and therefore do not require an OS per application, driving higher server efficiencies and reducing server and licensing costs
    Secure: Applications are safer in containers and Docker provides the strongest default isolation capabilities in the industry

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: