Views
Helpful
Replies

Ansible Module cisco.ios.ios_ping Question

randyyyyy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I'm writing Ansible playbooks to ping an array of network devices. I have been using the cisco.ios.ios_ping module to ping the devices which seems to be working for my needs. However, I've been trying to find out exactly what the criteria is for a successful pass for this module. 

It's safe to say that 5/5 packets sent is considered a Pass but what about situations where only 4/5 or 3/5 or 2/5 or 1/5 packets are sent? Would those be considered a Pass or a Fail?

So far, I haven't been able to find information about this for this specific module. Any info about this would definitely be helpful. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ansible considers a successful ping when all five packets are sent and received successfully. However, in situations where fewer packets are sent or received are considered failures by the module.  So for example, fail is less than five sent or received. You are right the documentation doesn't explicitly state the criteria for success, it provides details about the module's parameters and output, which can help you interpret the results. 

Hope this helps.

Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ansible considers a successful ping when all five packets are sent and received successfully. However, in situations where fewer packets are sent or received are considered failures by the module.  So for example, fail is less than five sent or received. You are right the documentation doesn't explicitly state the criteria for success, it provides details about the module's parameters and output, which can help you interpret the results. 

Hope this helps.

Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io

randyyyyy
Level 1
Level 1

This is the information I needed. Thank you!