Replies

zero touch provisioning - tftp download during script fails

_|brt.drml|_
Level 1
Level 1

Ok found the issue: 

edited the post on this forum:

what was the issue:

You'll probably start reading the ZTP information on DevNet. The proposed setup on DevNet happens as follow: vlan 1 and on the switch you use the vlan 1 with the physical management interface g0/0.

The switch receives the script, runs it. Inside the script I download some scripts from the tftp server. 

However in the real world VLAN 1 is disable and you like to use a Management VLAN. Moreover, a Trunk exists between your Router and Switch. Probably physical cabling is installed as intended to. 

If I use the management interface between router and switch this is ok. If I use the intended trunk interface between router and switch, then the tftp download in the script failed over and over again. 

The script was created with the DevNet example Stupid me ! 

I encountered issues when the switch booted. It started, I ping the TFTP server and try to connect to the 'tftp' server, but fails for the initial download. The reason for this, example script, manipulated a bit for my wishes (error checking etc.) but, forgotthe default vrf Mgmt in the script. -> this was at the point still enabled on the script... 

What is the physical setup:

The connection between switch and router ees is a trunk link. 

Interface config on the router is configured as trunk ( EtherSwitch). 

The new 9k switch boots up in standard 'dynamic auto' mode.

If I'm correct this means TRUNK interface. 

What I understood of pnp and ztp 'workflow'.:

The device boots up, listens with pnp to a 'pnp enabled interface'. During first contact the new switch forms a trunk, receives the dhcp information on the enabled 'dhcp-vlan'. In this case the management vlan. 

The scirpt is downloaded and is enabled in the guestshell. 

However, the script did the tftp download in the vrf mgmt -> not a good idea . So be aware of this when you are playing with ZTP. Took me half a day to find this stupid error!

Bootprocess I understood so far:

- configure the router with dhcp options

- configure the router with 'pnp' command to listen to pnp request on the correct vlan (default it is vlan 1)

- connect a cable between router and switch (can choose gi0/0 'management' or another interface - I preferred the permanent cabled interface')

- boot the switch - do not touch it - 

- trunk is formed (when my ees-router interface is put in trunk)

- vlan management is automatically created

- download of the script

- guestshell enabled

- guestshell runs the script

- done..... 

The ZTP boot process isn't that well described on the devnet.... However, google around for some Cisco Live! materials. There are some useful ones: 

- explains how to setup the appropriate vlan pnp config.

- explains how to create a factory switch again.

Google search: 

drmlbrt/laughing-robot: (github.com)

PowerPoint Presentation (ciscolive.com)

DEVWKS-1301.pdf (ciscolive.com)

O and have a search on GitHub, some good coding examples. 

If someone finds more detailed information please post this. 

Thank you hope it can help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alexander Stevenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @_|brt.drml|_ ,

Thank you very much for updating the discussion with the solution. Can you please also mark it as solved, if that is possible?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Alexander Stevenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @_|brt.drml|_ ,

Thank you very much for updating the discussion with the solution. Can you please also mark it as solved, if that is possible?

_|brt.drml|_
Level 1
Level 1

nope, had to select yours

Thanks. I'll take it!