Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
RedNectar
VIP
VIP

There have been a few discussions on the forum lately about installing ACI Simulator v5.x - and in particular the amount of RAM etc required. [the 5.2(3f) version of the Sim can be downloaded here]

The Cisco ACI Simulator VM Installation Guide has been updated recently to reflect the new requirements for ACI Simulator v5.x

In particular, note the RAM requirements for V5.x

ResourceRequired for Release 3.1(x)Required for Release 4.xRequired for Release 5.x

vCPU

Memory

16 GB

24 GB

64 GB

Hard disk storage

80 GB

100 GB

130 GB

which is more RAM than I have on any home machine!

However, when you actually download and boot the VM, if you are quick enough the first time it boots, you see a question like this, which suggests even MORE vCPUs if you want to run a large topology, and even though the VM was allocated 64GB RAM, it was detected as having only 62GB.

image.png

So for those thinking they'd like to run the simulator at home, you might be better off seeing if you can get access to the Cisco dCould lab - as described here: Cisco ACI 5.2 with VMware Lab and (if you have sufficient karma associated with your credentials) accessed here. https://dcloud2.cisco.com/demo/cisco-aci-5-2-with-vmware-lab 

BTW - the Cisco dCloud runs a "large" topology - 2 Spines, 1 Leaves and 3 APIC, and comes pre-equiped with a bunch of VMs attached as well.

image.png

Comments
RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @AllenA ,

I'm not sure what your point is, but you are correct that you have to have an account with Cisco (and that account will need to be associated with a Cisco customer or Cisco Partner) to be able to download the ACI Simulator.

BUT

There is no charge for downloading the simulator itself (apart from Internet download costs)

I don't want any readers to be confused by your claim that it is not free.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: