UCS is a combination of several components. For the UCS system to function correctly all the necessary firmware images must be loaded. All the firmware handling is done by UCS manager. For the system to boot properly, the Fabric Interconnect images are required. The Fabric Interconnect has three images, namely "Kickstart image, System image and UCS manager image". The UCS will get stuck in boot prompt if System image or UCS manager image is missing. UCS will get stuck in loader prompt if the kickstart image is missing.
UCS Images and Bundles
Cisco UCS Infrastructure Software Bundle
This bundle includes the following firmware images that are required to update the following components:
Cisco UCS Manager software
Kernel and system firmware for the fabric interconnects
I/O module firmware
Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Server Software Bundle
This bundle includes the following firmware images that are required to update the firmware for the blade servers in a Cisco UCS domain. In addition to the bundles created for a release, these bundles can also be released between infrastructure bundles to enable Cisco UCS Manager to support a blade server that is not included in the most recent infrastructure bundle..
Board controller firmware
Third-party firmware images required by the new server
1. Boot the Fabric Interconnect (FI) to the "switch(boot)" prompt. If presented with the "loader" prompt and no kickstart image in the Bootflash: you can boot the switch to the "switch(boot)" prompt by booting from a TFTP/SCP server.
loader> set ip <IP address> <Mask>
loader> set gw <GW IP Address> When accessing file from TFTP server loader> boot tftp://<tftp server ip>/kickstart-image-version.bin
When accessing file from SCP server
loader> boot scp://<scp server ip>/path_relative_from_scp_root/kickstart-image-version.bin
2. Configure the MGMT 0 interface on the FI
6. In my experience, the switch rebooted to the loader screen, if it doesnt, you can press CTRL-L (as per Roberts instructions) or CRTL-1 or CRTL-SHIFT-R (as per the configuration guide 1.3(1c). At this prompt boot into the kickstart and system images at the same time. Remember to put a space between the file names
7. Once the FI reboots the option to start the setup is presented. selct the GUI option and then enter the FI details
8. Open a web browser and connect via HTTPS: to the IP address configured in the setup
9. Launch the Express Setup option from the browser and complete the Express Setup.
10. I found from here that i then couldnt launch the UCS manager as after the Express setup was completed, it was not accessible. I then connected to the FI via console and could log in. From here i uploaded the UCS-Bundle-Version.bin file
11. Open a web browser and connect via HTTPS to the MGMT 0 IP address and press Launch.
From here you should be able to enter into the UCS manager and see the FI. You're not done here, the FI still needs to have the newly loaded firmware set as the startup image.
12. Navigate to the Equipment Tab >> Firmware Management and then Activate the Kickstart and System software versions that were uploaded earlier in the process. There is no new firmware to update, this will just set the boot variables for the FI so that it boots correctly and doesnt stop at the "loader" prompt again.
Outside of this, I had a few other issues with multiple FI's that failed and then resetting the cluster information, but this process is in the configuration guides.
We are using existing Brocade SAN switch and purchased new cisco SAN switch (MDS 9396T). Now we would like to create one fabric across both switch or configure ISL between these.Anyone please guide me, how could we configure ISL between cisco and brocade?
Hello Community,I have been looking for information about the routing decision on ACI.There are 3 lookup points:1- Endpoint Table2- RIB Table3- ARP Table.Basically a leaf switch will look for an endpoint on its database, if it is not found, then it tries ...
Hi, I'm getting an error when applying macsec policy to an interface, I understand what the error message is saying (can't use 1G or less on a port or port group), what I don't get is that none of the other ports in that MAC id group have SFPs, none ...
Hi, I was performing the direct transfer (agent extension) on an inbound call for UCCE 12.0, when I observed that on transferring (direct) call we receive some events for call type Consult. I wanted to know if that is the normal flow to ...