UCS is a combination of several components. For the UCS system to function correctly all the necessary firmware images must be loaded. All the firmware handling is done by UCS manager. For the system to boot properly, the Fabric Interconnect images are required. The Fabric Interconnect has three images, namely "Kickstart image, System image and UCS manager image". The UCS will get stuck in boot prompt if System image or UCS manager image is missing. UCS will get stuck in loader prompt if the kickstart image is missing.
UCS Images and Bundles
Cisco UCS Infrastructure Software Bundle
This bundle includes the following firmware images that are required to update the following components:
Cisco UCS Manager software
Kernel and system firmware for the fabric interconnects
I/O module firmware
Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Server Software Bundle
This bundle includes the following firmware images that are required to update the firmware for the blade servers in a Cisco UCS domain. In addition to the bundles created for a release, these bundles can also be released between infrastructure bundles to enable Cisco UCS Manager to support a blade server that is not included in the most recent infrastructure bundle..
Board controller firmware
Third-party firmware images required by the new server
1. Boot the Fabric Interconnect (FI) to the "switch(boot)" prompt. If presented with the "loader" prompt and no kickstart image in the Bootflash: you can boot the switch to the "switch(boot)" prompt by booting from a TFTP/SCP server.
loader> set ip <IP address> <Mask>
loader> set gw <GW IP Address> When accessing file from TFTP server loader> boot tftp://<tftp server ip>/kickstart-image-version.bin
When accessing file from SCP server
loader> boot scp://<scp server ip>/path_relative_from_scp_root/kickstart-image-version.bin
2. Configure the MGMT 0 interface on the FI
6. In my experience, the switch rebooted to the loader screen, if it doesnt, you can press CTRL-L (as per Roberts instructions) or CRTL-1 or CRTL-SHIFT-R (as per the configuration guide 1.3(1c). At this prompt boot into the kickstart and system images at the same time. Remember to put a space between the file names
7. Once the FI reboots the option to start the setup is presented. selct the GUI option and then enter the FI details
8. Open a web browser and connect via HTTPS: to the IP address configured in the setup
9. Launch the Express Setup option from the browser and complete the Express Setup.
10. I found from here that i then couldnt launch the UCS manager as after the Express setup was completed, it was not accessible. I then connected to the FI via console and could log in. From here i uploaded the UCS-Bundle-Version.bin file
11. Open a web browser and connect via HTTPS to the MGMT 0 IP address and press Launch.
From here you should be able to enter into the UCS manager and see the FI. You're not done here, the FI still needs to have the newly loaded firmware set as the startup image.
12. Navigate to the Equipment Tab >> Firmware Management and then Activate the Kickstart and System software versions that were uploaded earlier in the process. There is no new firmware to update, this will just set the boot variables for the FI so that it boots correctly and doesnt stop at the "loader" prompt again.
Outside of this, I had a few other issues with multiple FI's that failed and then resetting the cluster information, but this process is in the configuration guides.
Hi,I had read thru many documents about PVLAN. Some how there some questions I need expert advice.Especially the PVLAN trunking , also the what is common practise interface type use for VMWARE ESXi host. Please open attached powerpoint fi...
To participate in this event, please use the button to ask your questions
This special event - formerly known as Ask the Expert- is open only to Cisco Customers and Partners.
Many pages in the Cisco Community are acce...
Greetings, out of curiosity how long does it take your APIC device to boot to the APIC screen?I'm seeing anywhere from 20-30 minutes. Sometimes requiring me to reboot multiple times to get it to appear.Working with C220 M5. More often then not I get ...
Hi all, after port change from fc to ethernet and restared N5K I have a problem with second N5K, this two devices are connected via peer-link and I´m receiving error log: %VPC-2-VPC_DELAY_RESTORE_TIMER: Delay restore timer will be overwritten to...