Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP issue with EVPN+VxLAN+ARP suppression

satish.txt1
Beginner
Beginner

Folks,

I need your help here to understand what is going on. I have very simple spine-leaf design with OSPF+iBGP and my VTEPs in Cisco vPC pair for redendency. Everything was working until i enabled `suppress-arp`  (I did carve TCAM size also) on my L2VNI (I don't have L3VNI and anycast gateway). I found when my host server request for DHCP packet and it generate ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff packet and some kind of race condition hit start arp broadcast flooding in network and only solution is to turn off arp-suppression. I did this test multiple time to reproduce and it flood each time DHCP discovery/request happened. 

I believe this is some kind of vPC + Arp-suppression combo creating L2 arp loop. (can someone confirm or prove that arp-suppression isn't good idea with L2VNI only?)

I am running Cisco nexus 9396PX with nxos.9.3.5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

satish.txt1
Beginner
Beginner

After various test found L2VNI doesn't fully support apr-suppression, It does work but not in all condition. for experiment as soon as i create L3VNI for my VLAN and that fixed my issue so bottom line is if you have only L2VNI don't use arp-suppression (Without anycast Gateway). Period. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

satish.txt1
Beginner
Beginner

After various test found L2VNI doesn't fully support apr-suppression, It does work but not in all condition. for experiment as soon as i create L3VNI for my VLAN and that fixed my issue so bottom line is if you have only L2VNI don't use arp-suppression (Without anycast Gateway). Period. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: