cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Alexander Stevenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mindfulness.jpeg

The following is inspired by Chapter 9 'Mindfulness at Work: Interviews, Meetings and Presentations' from the book Mindfulness, by Gill Hasson.

“How’s work?” For many, the answer is often, “Stressful. My manager calls meeting after meeting without making any real decisions. I have a presentation tomorrow that I’m dreading. I’m looking for another job and have an interview next week that I’m nervous about.”

Work pressures and responsibilities can often lead to a strong current of negative thoughts and feelings. This makes it difficult to think clearly, perform well, and enjoy our job. Mindfulness can help. It keeps you grounded and centered, making you less influenced by external chaos. You’ll find it easier to stay focused and calmly present in both pleasant and challenging work situations.

Mindfulness allows you to be more flexible with your thinking and with letting go of rigid work habits. It helps build a stronger sense of self-belief and a positive outlook on your abilities. Additionally, a mindful approach improves collaboration, making you more aware of others’ needs and perspectives. While it doesn’t eliminate conflicts or issues, mindfulness helps you manage them with confidence and ease.

In this guide, we explore how to apply mindfulness in specific situations such as interviews, meetings, and presentations.

Mindfulness for Interviews

Getting an interview is an achievement in itself, but for many, the initial excitement turns into anxiety. Worries like “I might not understand the questions” or “I’ll talk too quickly” often come up. On the interview day, you might experience a dry mouth, sweaty palms, and a pounding heart. But it doesn’t have to be this way!

Leave Past Interviews Behind
Don’t dwell on past interviews that didn’t go well. This is a new opportunity with a different interviewer. Learn from past experiences, if possible, but focus on the present interview.

Prepare Thoroughly
Research the employer’s services, markets, and competitors. Plan your attire and logistics to avoid any last-minute rush. Reviewing your application beforehand will help you remember your key points.

Relax the Evening Before
Engage in an activity you enjoy to keep your mind off the interview. Watch a movie, meet friends, or do something that relaxes you.

Breathe and Stay Calm
Before the interview, use breathing techniques to calm yourself. Imagine a loved one’s smile and respond with a smile of your own to appear relaxed and confident.

Listen and Respond Thoughtfully
Listen carefully to the interviewer’s questions without letting your thoughts interfere. Take your time to respond and seek clarification if needed. Answer confidently and avoid mumbling or rushing.

Let Go Post-Interview
After the interview, don’t dwell on what you should have said. Plan an enjoyable activity to shift your focus. Whether you get the job or not, seek feedback to improve for the future.

Using Mindfulness for Stronger Presentations

The thought of speaking in front of people can be daunting. Concerns like “I’ll forget something important” or “I’ll talk too quickly” often arise. These anxieties undermine your confidence, but with mindfulness, you can believe in your ability to present effectively.

Be Thoroughly Prepared
Know your topic well. This allows you to focus on delivery rather than worrying about forgetting points. Rehearse your presentation alone and in front of a friend for feedback.

Breathe and Stay Positive
Before your presentation, avoid negative thoughts. Use positive self-talk and breathing techniques to stay calm. Instead of reading from a script, use prompt cards or PowerPoint slides as guides.

Engage Your Audience
Actively involve your audience with questions and participation to keep them engaged and to pace your presentation. Speak slowly, pause at key points, and stick to your plan.

Handle Questions Effectively
At the end of your presentation, invite questions. Listen carefully and rephrase complicated questions to ensure understanding. This shows your ability to clarify and respond thoughtfully.

Making Meetings Matter with Mindfulness

Mindless, mind-numbing meetings are often boring and unfocused. Instead, meetings should encourage openness, clear action points, and effective decision-making.

Send Out a Clear Agenda
Outline the meeting’s aims, issues to discuss, and decisions to make. This ensures everyone knows the focus of the meeting.

Avoid Rushing to Meetings
Take a few minutes to breathe and center yourself before the meeting. Write down and set aside any tasks to avoid distractions.

Start with Clear Objectives
Begin the meeting by stating its purpose and objectives. Keep discussions focused and avoid unrelated topics by suggesting a “parking space” for other issues.

Listen and Observe Non-Verbal Cues
Use mindful listening techniques and be aware of attendees’ non-verbal communication. Ensure everyone has a chance to voice their opinions and questions.

Conclude with Clear Action Points
Wrap up the meeting by clarifying next steps and commitments. This ensures everyone knows what to do moving forward.

In a Nutshell

Preparation: Whether for meetings, interviews, or presentations, prepare thoroughly to ease anxiety and boost confidence.

Mindful Listening: Stay present and listen carefully to others, seeking clarification when needed.

Positive Self-Talk: Use positive affirmations and breathing techniques to stay calm.

Learning from Experiences: Don’t dwell on past mistakes. Learn from them and focus on future opportunities.

By incorporating mindfulness into your work routine, you can manage stress more effectively and create a more positive and productive work environment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: