cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Almost 40% of software engineers will only work remotely?

Sean Dahlberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hired released its annual software engineering study earlier this year. One of the interesting points they highlighted is about working remotely. 

39% of candidates with a Hired profile preferred only remote roles by December 2022, compared to 16% of candidates in December 2021. Surveyed employers ranked “flexible work schedules” as the top benefit they’re prioritizing over the next six months, after compensation, healthcare, and PTO. 

While some companies have been very visible with return-to-office mandates, they appear to be more the exception than the rule, at least according to survey data from The Conference Board. 

Judging by news, commentary, and polls – not to mention the fairly empty streets around my house that used to be jam-packed at rush hour – many are still working remotely. Obviously, my ability to exceed the speed limit when I’m used to sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic isn’t the best way to measure things.  

So, the real question is, what best fits your situation? Share your voice by voting in the poll you see in the right sidebar and feel free to join the conversation below. 

2 Replies 2

Paul Zimmerman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Of course, here at Cisco we love remote work with all the remote networking, collaboration software, and secure connectivity! That doesn't mean that all groups have remote working situations, but thankfully my team is globally distributed, so working remotely seems to be the best situation for connecting with people in various time zones. 

Certainly, one of the challenges is making sure that we present a professional attitude and appearance, even if I'm wearing sweats and the family is making all their noises! I'm sure many of you out there have similar struggles LOL

Ray Stephenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

After many years of working remotely (13+!), I can say a good formula if the employers supports it is remote work + four times a year get togethers for in-person connection. With a very globally distributed team, this isn't always within the budget - however we can make do by creating opportunities within regions that happen to match up with other larger events happening.